Phone contract as soon as you turn 18

Watch
MajorFader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I turn 18 in August of this year and I was peonsring on the idea of taking out a contract. I have had a part time job for 5 months and I do believe I am in the electoral register, but I don’t think I have a credit history as such? Do networks give contracts to people who have no credit history?

EDIT BY COMMUNITY TEAM

A few suggestions out there that https://www.affordablemobiles.co.uk/ are more likely than others to give you a mobile phone contract if you've been declined elsewhere.

Make sure you register to vote (if you're over 18) before you apply.

There are also some super cheap phone deals around for Black Friday:
Last edited by Professor Oak; 2 years ago
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ya I got one with O2, barely even had a job but my mum had too many contracts on her name so I had to do it on mine and it worked! An iPhone X as well.
MajorFader
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zxyn)
Ya I got one with O2, barely even had a job but my mum had too many contracts on her name so I had to do it on mine and it worked! An iPhone X as well.
Seriously? I am here worrying that I might not even get a phone because of no credit history. Was it online?
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by MajorFader)
Seriously? I am here worrying that I might not even get a phone because of no credit history. Was it online?
Yeah, through carphone warehouse and I got accepted straight away. My parents actually have a good credit rating so I think a background check on my address and the fact I was working seemed good enough but my personal credit score would be 0
RoyalSheepy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I turn 18 in August of this year and I was peonsring on the idea of taking out a contract. I have had a part time job for 5 months and I do believe I am in the electoral register, but I don’t think I have a credit history as such? Do networks give contracts to people who have no credit history?
Hi there!

It really depends on the network. Getting credit at this age, and being able to keep up to the payments is good for your credit score; but, default on your payments and your credit score will drop dramatically.

This thread should be in the Tech forum. I'll just tag AngryJellyfish to get this moved over there
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I didn't even know credit histories had anything to do with phone contracts :confused:
I had my contract transferred to me when I was 17 and no one mentioned anything about credit?
RoyalSheepy
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
I didn't even know credit histories had anything to do with phone contracts :confused:
I had my contract transferred to me when I was 17 and no one mentioned anything about credit?
Were you the bill payer of the contract though?
MajorFader
Rep:
?
17? You have to be 18.
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by RoyalSheepy)
Were you the bill payer of the contract though?
My mum was the bill payer when I first got the phone but at 18 I became the bill payer and everything was fine. This is the first time I've heard of credit records being involved with phone contracts O.O
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
17? You have to be 18.
Actually yeah I think it was when I was 18, I'll correct my recent post
RoyalSheepy
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Actually yeah I think it was when I was 18, I'll correct my recent post
That makes more sense... :lol:

Because usually you have to be 18 to take out a phone contract. And a credit check these days are usually mandatory for anything to do with financing stuff.
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by RoyalSheepy)
That makes more sense... :lol:

Because usually you have to be 18 to take out a phone contract. And a credit check these days are usually mandatory for anything to do with financing stuff.
Oh I see! So in general could you be turned down for anything if you have a credit score of 0?

P.S. Sorry for sounding absolutely clueless here and to OP for derailing the thread slightly
RoyalSheepy
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Oh I see! So in general could you be turned down for anything if you have a credit score of 0?

P.S. Sorry for sounding absolutely clueless here and to OP for derailing the thread slightly
It all depends on the lender/company. :yes: But 0 is a very poor credit score, so more than likely...

The OP doesn't actually have a credit score yet, as they're not established with a lender yet.

And no worries, you're not derailing the thread IMO
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.7%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (33)
15.79%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.27%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.83%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (56)
26.79%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.62%

Watched Threads