The Student Room Group

Contraceptive pill - delaying period

Hi, I'd like some advice/opinions on this issue as I have found loads of different answers
Basically, I started microgynon last month and the side effects were terrible, so decided to come off it as soon as I finished the first 3 weeks. The packet finished on December 28th but I didn't want to have my withdrawal bleed over New Years, so I decided to start the second pack straight away. This means I have taken 4 pills of the second pack. Is it now okay if I come off the pill or do I need to finish the second pack - I really don't want another 3 weeks of side effects!! I have read that it is ok to stop the pill at any time. Also, does this mean I will still be protected for 7 days if I stop? Thank you in advance
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I'd like some advice/opinions on this issue as I have found loads of different answers
Basically, I started microgynon last month and the side effects were terrible, so decided to come off it as soon as I finished the first 3 weeks. The packet finished on December 28th but I didn't want to have my withdrawal bleed over New Years, so I decided to start the second pack straight away. This means I have taken 4 pills of the second pack. Is it now okay if I come off the pill or do I need to finish the second pack - I really don't want another 3 weeks of side effects!! I have read that it is ok to stop the pill at any time. Also, does this mean I will still be protected for 7 days if I stop? Thank you in advance

Have you had any side effects taking the pills again? Often the side effects get better and even go away after the first month. So it might be worth going along with it a little longer to see if you get those side effects.

Otherwise, you can stop taking the pill but you will not be protected anymore. Sperm can stay in the body for up to 5 days as it's traveling to an egg. If you stop now you should be protected from getting pregnant from sex you've had before you stopped. But you will not be protected from any you have further on.
Original post by Anonymous
This means I have taken 4 pills of the second pack. Is it now okay if I come off the pill or do I need to finish the second pack - I really don't want another 3 weeks of side effects!!

No, you can stop at any point. It's going to be worth going back to wherever you got it from to discuss this first though. Depending on what they are, they might fade away - they are more common when starting - or be treatable. You can also sort out another method of contraception but..

Also, does this mean I will still be protected for 7 days if I stop? Thank you in advance

.. yes. You've taken it continuously for long enough that you will be protected for seven days after stopping.

Quick Reply

Latest