Turn on thread page Beta

I'm 19 years old and the thought of turning 20 kind of scares me. watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently 19 years old and honestly, the thought of being 20 is kind of making me feel anxious. I mean then, I won't be a teenager anymore and as a result, I feel like my youth is kind of over and I won't be able to have certain privileges of being associated with youth. I'm not opposed to responsibilities or anything like that, it's just the feeling of not being considered a teen or young.I can't stop worrying about turning 20 and I fear as it gets closer, I will start counting the days and won't be able to enjoy being a teen. For example, when I'm 20, I wont' be able to date tenage girls without falling into the category as some old creep, which is the exact same situation of how a 40 year old would be seen. How can I deal with this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zeronos)
    I'm currently 19 years old and honestly, the thought of being 20 is kind of making me feel anxious. I mean then, I won't be a teenager anymore and as a result, I feel like my youth is kind of over and I won't be able to have certain privileges of being associated with youth. I'm not opposed to responsibilities or anything like that, it's just the feeling of not being considered a teen or young.I can't stop worrying about turning 20 and I fear as it gets closer, I will start counting the days and won't be able to enjoy being a teen. For example, when I'm 20, I wont' be able to date tenage girls without falling into the category as some old creep, which is the exact same situation of how a 40 year old would be seen. How can I deal with this?
    How will anyone view a person who's 19 years and 364 days old differently to someone who's 20 years old. The actual date itself makes no difference. You need to realise that we're always aging, constantly. A 6 year old isn't treated the same as a toddler, A 12 year old isn't treated the same as a 6 year old. And a 16 year old isn't treated the same as a 12 year old, a 20 year old won't be treated the same as a 16 year old.

You also have to realise it's a trade off, you may lose the assumption of innocence on one hand, but then you gain trust and gravitas on the other.

ReputationRep:
    This is me too!! I'm turning 20 in a couple of months and I find it worrying and upsetting how fast time is going 😞 I don't have any advice unfortunately but hopefully you can take comfort in the fact you're not alone!

I feel you, i had this feeling as soon as i turned 18 and now i am going to turn 20 in feburary

ReputationRep:
    Oh grow up and act your age :fatcontroller:

haha i remember those days

wait till you turn 30, will be even scarier!

ReputationRep:
    I am turning 15 tomorrow. I don't even look 15 lol. Oh well what can we do.

(Original post by sophia13)
    I am turning 15 tomorrow. I don't even look 15 lol. Oh well what can we do.
    life moves so slowly when you are only 15...

ReputationRep:
    I feel the same but for me, I'm 17 years old and I'm turning 18. I don't even feel like I'm 16 yet.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, after you're 18+ age just becomes a number. After your 20th birthday you'll look back and feel like you're 18/19 again, and that not much has changed at all. You're over thinking too much. I am turning 21 very soon, and can tell you that I still feel and look exactly as I did when I was 16. The only difference is I am more mature and less naive.

Also why on earth would you want to date teenage girls( presumably ones younger than 18)?? You can date 18/19yo and it isn't creepy because there's not much of an age gap at all you're both adults and should be mature enough. You're not 40 or 50 so theres no way it's creepy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackstarr)
    life moves so slowly when you are only 15...
    If you have had an amazing year, then life moves very fast. Its the same for me

ReputationRep:
    I am 20.
    You don't change, it's not like a light switches and the adult part of your brain starts going..
    You just change in age, like how it's now 2018, it's just digits.

ReputationRep:
    so am i, but i remember reading somewhere that it’s not good to worry about having your life together in your 20s because it will just ruin your 20s anyways, it’s also quite unrealistic now that i think about it

One day you're 19, the net your 20. Nothing will have changed! Don't stress, when you 79 going on 80, you'll look back and wish you were 20! Enjoy your twenties, they're sweet D

ReputationRep:
    Literally every year from 11 I was scared of aging. 11-12 is pretty big, go from child to teen. 12-13 huge changes physically. When you become 14 you realise as a guy you're stronger than your mum and rather than her protecting you it feels like the other way round. This grows hugely. At 14 you're a fresh innocent teen. At 16 you're meant to be much stronger and more mature. At 18 you're an adult. In 5 years you go from being a small little year 8 with a squeeze voice to an adult. IDK about girls since you go through puberty at different ages, but as a teen guy it feels like every year is supposed to have this major impact until 21.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    haha i remember those days

wait till you turn 30, will be even scarier!
    I will be 70 in March. That's even scarier. I look back at the things I've done and shouldn't have done, at things I wish I'd done and haven't done. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

ReputationRep:
    Don't see it as a milestone which is negative. See it as a positive and that you can fill your life with all the dreams you want to come true. Take all the opportunities out there now for your generation that weren't there for mine. Look to your future and don't wait until you are like me at nearly 70 with more regrets than I can count. X
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Seamus123)
    Don't see it as a milestone which is negative. See it as a positive and that you can fill your life with all the dreams you want to come true. Take all the opportunities out there now for your generation that weren't there for mine. Look to your future and don't wait until you are like me at nearly 70 with more regrets than I can count. X
    (Original post by Seamus123)
    I will be 70 in March. That's even scarier. I look back at the things I've done and shouldn't have done, at things I wish I'd done and haven't done. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
    I am 169 and I’d die to be 70 again son!

ReputationRep:
    20 is still young, practically a kid. You wouldn't even be able to drink in the States.

I remember being very eager to turn 20.

ReputationRep:
    I’m 18 and it’s weird the younger you are the slower life is.

I’m yet to work out whether it’s because you have less responsibility or because you’ve spent less time living.

Either way I don’t mind being old. I think every age has a lot of advantages to it. I imagine people that live their life by clubbing, their appearance etc will miss being young. I do these things but they’re kind of secondary to me.

Honestly I’d much rather be like 40. I can picture it now. Sat in the Garden on a summers day having a Barbecue with a wife sat across from me, with the kids and dog playing in the garden of our home. To me that’s more what life is, it’s long term happiness.

Literally the only good thing about being young is that you have more life to live. Most young people are poor, anti-social and drunk messes. Which I must admit I have been a few times.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.