Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello to the fellow medics who hope to apply to a medical school in Scotland for entry in 2019! As we’ll all be hoping to apply later in this year, this thread is a great place to discuss topics on volunteering, grades, or anything else that may be on your mind!

Feel free to share some stats such as any work experience or volunteering you have completed, as well what subjects you are taking at school and any extra-curricular activities that you are undertaking!

Hope you chat to you all on here!

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I’m getting so stressed out now it’s 2018 because my plan was always to start preparing early eg. Writing my PS and practising the UKCAT. But now it’s January it seems like I will have no time in between now and May, because of assignments and exam revision.
    When was everyone planning on starting their applications?? It would be helpful to get a picture and see if I’m behind or not
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hey.. What Scottish unis are u guys thinking of applying to?
    International student here and lol I thought I would start in Mid January.. But with A Levels I feel like its kinda impossible to get ahead of stuff..

And its seems unbelievable 2018 is here ... I really hope all of us get into med schools

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K8e.H)
    Hi!
    I’m getting so stressed out now it’s 2018 because my plan was always to start preparing early eg. Writing my PS and practising the UKCAT. But now it’s January it seems like I will have no time in between now and May, because of assignments and exam revision.
    When was everyone planning on starting their applications?? It would be helpful to get a picture and see if I’m behind or not
    Yoo relaax!! I applied for 2018 entry (waiting to hear back!!) and I didn't start nearly as early as you have. In fact, I wasn't even sure about medicine until like, June. The most important thing for you to do now until May is focus on your exams!! If you're Scottish and doing highers, getting those 5A's is the most important step for you. If you're on track for that, work experience is the next most vital thing. From now until May, I wouldn't worry about anything except your grades and your work experience.

After May, you can start to worry about UKCAT/PS. If you start UKCAT prep too early, you risk running out of steam too soon(it's tedious, to say the least) and tbh the ideal amount of time for ukcat prep in my experience was 4-6 weeks before the exam(4 weeks casual, 2 weeks intense).

And as for your personal statement, unless you have a lot of work experience under your belt already, writing it now won't really do you any good. Most of it is going to be based on that, so I'd wait until you've done a lot. (Jot down ideas if you like though, that's always a good idea).

Also, if you're Scottish, medic insight is an amazing work experience week, I'd really recommend it!!
    If you need anything else, feel free to ask!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamza.shah24)
    Hey.. What Scottish unis are u guys thinking of applying to?
    International student here and lol I thought I would start in Mid January.. But with A Levels I feel like its kinda impossible to get ahead of stuff..

And its seems unbelievable 2018 is here ... I really hope all of us get into med schools
    I’m thinking of applying to Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Glasgow and Dundee? Might switch one out for Cambridge I haven’t quite decided yet 😬

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bbtala)
    Yoo relaax!! I applied for 2018 entry (waiting to hear back!!) and I didn't start nearly as early as you have. In fact, I wasn't even sure about medicine until like, June. The most important thing for you to do now until May is focus on your exams!! If you're Scottish and doing highers, getting those 5A's is the most important step for you. If you're on track for that, work experience is the next most vital thing. From now until May, I wouldn't worry about anything except your grades and your work experience.

After May, you can start to worry about UKCAT/PS. If you start UKCAT prep too early, you risk running out of steam too soon(it's tedious, to say the least) and tbh the ideal amount of time for ukcat prep in my experience was 4-6 weeks before the exam(4 weeks casual, 2 weeks intense).

And as for your personal statement, unless you have a lot of work experience under your belt already, writing it now won't really do you any good. Most of it is going to be based on that, so I'd wait until you've done a lot. (Jot down ideas if you like though, that's always a good idea).

Also, if you're Scottish, medic insight is an amazing work experience week, I'd really recommend it!!
    If you need anything else, feel free to ask!
    Thanks so much!
    I am predicted five A’s so now I’m just hoping the exams go to plan!😬
    I have done about half of the work experience I’m planning on doing, so right now I’m just typing up reflections from my diary. I live in Edinburgh and our medic insight application week actually started today! I’m spending this week working really hard on my application so I hopefully get in. Do you have any tips for applying? Also, if you went on the week, how did you find it and what was your timetable like? Is it right that everyone gets an individual timetable or do you do shadowing alongside a few other people?
    I have bought my UKCAT 1250 questions book but at the moment I think I am just going to familiarise myself with the structure and timings of each section so I don’t get any surprises come June! I you don’t mind me asking, what uni’s did you apply to? What kind of work experience/volunteering/extracurriculars did you do?

Thanks so much again for the response! ☺️
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by K8e.H)
    Thanks so much!
    I have done about half of the work experience I’m planning on doing, so right now I’m just typing up reflections from my diary. I live in Edinburgh and our medic insight application week actually started today! I’m spending this week working really hard on my application so I hopefully get in. Do you have any tips for applying? Also, if you went on the week, how did you find it and what was your timetable like? Is it right that everyone gets an individual timetable or do you do shadowing alongside a few other people?
    I have bought my UKCAT 1250 questions book but at the moment I think I am just going to familiarise myself with the structure and timings of each section so I don’t get any surprises come June! I you don’t mind me asking, what uni’s did you apply to? What kind of work experience/volunteering/extracurriculars did you do?

Everyone gets an individual timetable - around half of it will be shadowing clinicians (either by yourself or as a pair), and the other half will be workshops run by medical stude (where you're split into groups and rotate round a few stations).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asklepios)
    Everyone gets an individual timetable - around half of it will be shadowing clinicians (either by yourself or as a pair), and the other half will be workshops run by medical stude (where you're split into groups and rotate round a few stations).
    It sounds fab, I really hope I get in! What specialties did you shadow in?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by K8e.H)
    It sounds fab, I really hope I get in! What specialties did you shadow in?
    Oh I did it many years ago haha (can't remember - I think Anaesthetics, GP, Gen Surg, something medical... ). I help organise it now though.

ReputationRep:
    Oh I did it many years ago haha (can't remember - I think Anaesthetics, GP, Gen Surg, something medical... ). I help organise it now though.
    Oh right! 😊
    Are you a medical student at Edinburgh?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by K8e.H)
    Oh right! 😊
    Are you a medical student at Edinburgh?
    Yep!

ReputationRep:
    Yep!
    I really want to apply to Edinburgh!
    If you don’t mind me asking, what year are you in?
    How are you finding the course?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by K8e.H)
    I really want to apply to Edinburgh!
    If you don’t mind me asking, what year are you in?
    How are you finding the course?
    5th year.

It's good overall. Obviously has its annoying bits but meh. Feel free to ask here or PM me if you have any specific queries.

ReputationRep:
    5th year.

It's good overall. Obviously has its annoying bits but meh. Feel free to ask here or PM me if you have any specific queries.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Hi ! I’m applying to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen and Dundee. Unfortunately I missed out on about a year of work experience etc. including school due to my anorexia(from which I am now almost recovered), and could not do my national 5s but I got an appeal and got 7As. I got 5As in my higher prelims this year also. So now I’m trying to cram everything in last minute. What I have planned is gp work experience, doctors at work scheme (hospital work experience), I go to first responders training, volunteering at a nursing home, volunteering at a charity shop, occasional volunteering such as at a mental health charity and volunteering at a youth group for kids with additional support needs. Do you think this is good enough or would you recommend I do more?

I also run a social media blog where I document my recovery from anorexia and support others struggling, not only with anorexia but also other mental health problems. I was wondering if this would be a good thing to put in my personal statement? I thought it could make me stand out, or do you think it could go against me? Thanks )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brionyw:))
    Hi ! I’m applying to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen and Dundee. Unfortunately I missed out on about a year of work experience etc. including school due to my anorexia(from which I am now almost recovered), and could not do my national 5s but I got an appeal and got 7As. I got 5As in my higher prelims this year also. So now I’m trying to cram everything in last minute. What I have planned is gp work experience, doctors at work scheme (hospital work experience), I go to first responders training, volunteering at a nursing home, volunteering at a charity shop, occasional volunteering such as at a mental health charity and volunteering at a youth group for kids with additional support needs. Do you think this is good enough or would you recommend I do more?

I also run a social media blog where I document my recovery from anorexia and support others struggling, not only with anorexia but also other mental health problems. I was wondering if this would be a good thing to put in my personal statement? I thought it could make me stand out, or do you think it could go against me? Thanks )
    I’m definitely no expert (also in S5) but I think that sounds like a great thing to talk about!
    The fact that you can recover and go on to help others is a massive achievement that you should be proud of - remember your personal statement is about showing who you are, and this is a great way to show your own strength and that you are passionate about helping others through using your own experiences
    The medical schools would have to be real c***s to hold it against you.
    If you want to expand on your blog, you may need to take it out of just social media - maybe start a proper platform eg. A website like wordpress where you can just duplicate your posts but it is a little more legit. If you feel confident enough to share your experience in the community eg.starting a support group or a mental health awareness campaign in school this would show leadership and initiative.
    You sound like you also have some great work experience and volunteering planned. For Edinburgh they like you to cover the three d’s - diseased, disabled and disadvantaged. The only thing I’d say is to try not to tire yourself out! You seem to have quite a lot of volunteering on the go. You may need to take up an extracurricular as well, maybe at lunchtime? You could start a mental health committee in school if that’s something your passionate about?

EDIT: not to sound stalkery or anything, but where are you in Scotland?
    I live in Edinburgh and there’s this mental health charity around the lothians called CAPS
    When I was looking for volunteering I remember seeing an advert for a young person to share their eating disorder story. Again, only if you feel confident enough, you could email this lady and ask
    http://capsadvocacy.org/news/volunteering-with-caps/
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by brionyw:))

These all sound like good things. But, it doesn't matter what you do, but rather how you write about it is n your PS and how you talk about it at interview (if applicable). The key word here is REFLECT.

A good framework to use is the Gibb's model (http://www.salford.ac.uk/__data/asse...ve-writing.pdf). Your PS is a space-pressured, so you won't have enough space to completed reflect on everything. But choose a few examples from your work experience and voluntary work to show why you'd make a good doctor.

The blog thing could potentially be good to mention provided you link it it in to showing how you'd be a good doctor. E.g. You could talk about being at both ends (suffering from AN and supporting others) has given you insights into the importance of empathy as a doctor. However, just mentioning you have a blog will not 'score' you any points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K8e.H)
    Thanks so much!

Just show your enthusiasm in the application, that worked for me! The week was really enjoyable, I did it in Dundee, so it might be different, but there was a mix of prep for applying, and getting to see different surgeries and practices. You're usually with one other person for the surgeries and with a big group for the tutorials and stuff.

And yeah that's a good idea, just get yourself used to how the test works! It's different from any kind of test i had ever done before so getting used to it is important. (Also I really recommend Medify closer to it).

I applied to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dundee and Aberdeen. I got an offer from Edinburgh(today actually!!!) and I've had interviews at the other three and am waiting to hear back from them!

As for W.E, I've done medic insight, shadowed a GP, and some volunteering at a care home!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bbtala)
    Just show your enthusiasm in the application, that worked for me! The week was really enjoyable, I did it in Dundee, so it might be different, but there was a mix of prep for applying, and getting to see different surgeries and practices. You're usually with one other person for the surgeries and with a big group for the tutorials and stuff.

And yeah that's a good idea, just get yourself used to how the test works! It's different from any kind of test i had ever done before so getting used to it is important. (Also I really recommend Medify closer to it).

I applied to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dundee and Aberdeen. I got an offer from Edinburgh(today actually!!!) and I've had interviews at the other three and am waiting to hear back from them!

As for W.E, I've done medic insight, shadowed a GP, and some volunteering at a care home!
    WELL DONE!! That’s fab you got an offer! Was Edinburgh your first choice?
    How did you find the interviews? I am also thinking of applying to Aberdeen, Dundee and Glasgow, so do you have any tips?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any idea kn how to secure a placement shadowing a doctor?! Im getting desperate as im planning to apply later this year and because im 19 and doing so through an access to medicine course, shadowing is vital for my application! Ive rang and emailed all the wards in all the local hospitals, all the private clinics and hospitals, all the hospices and care homes and local community clinics, i even contacted over 30 GPs and mailed the "higher-ups" at HR in and out the NHS for help. Because im 19 i cant apply to any medical insight programmes because theyre aimed at 4th-6th years and the NHS only allocates school pupils work placements. Ive been told to take advantage of any contacts i may have but i have literally no one! Im getting so desperate as i literally hadnt planned to apply this year until i got word that i could do the access course. I have very little work experience, never had a job, my previous academics are not the best as although id always planned to study medicine i fell ill during my national 5 exams and wasnt able to return for 5th or 6th hears to do my highers, so i had to drop out of REACH etc. I currently volunteer for my local sick kids hospital as a play volunteer although this has only been for a short while and doesnt involve much other than me playing with the kids on the wards for 2 hrs a week. I used to be a junior student at the conservatoire fpr 2 years, thats as far as my extra curriculars go to be honest. Anyone have any advice on how to find a placement? Im literally desperate! And also im planning to write my statement during the summer so was wondering if anyone knew what i can do to add weight to my application.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 12, 2018

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.