The Student Room Group

Vitamin D for height

Hey, I'm 16 and in Year 12. Currently, I'm 5'8, about 140 something lb and want to do whatever it takes to reach my potential height. I was wondering if taking Vitamin D tablets daily can increase my chances of reaching my potential height, as lately all I do for the most part is sit and revise, and only get to work out every now and then. I don't want this to stop me from growing more.
My dad's 5'11 if that helps lol

Reply 1
No
Reply 3
Original post by Angry cucumber
No

And why is that?
Original post by LaFleur786
And why is that?

Unless you live on a diet of lettuce, living in near darkness, you'll have some vit D in your system and it is very unlikely to be the cause of your lack of height. Taking Vit D for other reasons such as bone quality and other factors, taking some cheap Vit D from somewhere like boots is a perfectly reasonable thing. It's not going to put 3 inches on you
Reply 5
Original post by Angry cucumber
Unless you live on a diet of lettuce, living in near darkness, you'll have some vit D in your system and it is very unlikely to be the cause of your lack of height. Taking Vit D for other reasons such as bone quality and other factors, taking some cheap Vit D from somewhere like boots is a perfectly reasonable thing. It's not going to put 3 inches on you

Oh, alright thanks for the answer ;P
Vitamin D, not sure the benefit in development with that. Mega dosing ascorbic acid (vitamin C), B complex, zinc, potassium and magnesium would work far better as supplements. Good, clean, nutritious diet > supps though.
5"8 isn't bad, I'm barely 5"2 :colondollar:
Original post by 303Pharma
Vitamin D, not sure the benefit in development with that. Mega dosing ascorbic acid (vitamin C), B complex, zinc, potassium and magnesium would work far better as supplements. Good, clean, nutritious diet > supps though.

Mega dosing Vit C is expensive urine
Zn, K and Mg are utterly pointless to supplement without a diagnosed deficiency as a half reasonable diet will have all of these in them. Furthermore toxicosis, especially with Zinc is possible
Ngl you need vitamin d in order for calcium to be absorbed so honestly if you have a deficiency, I would eat it. Plus if you live in the UK where getting decent amount of sunlight is rare, I would take it.
Linus Pauling (one of only 4 people in history to receive 2 nobel prizes) swore by megadosing on vitamin C. He imbued like 5-25g daily, for decades. Metal minerals, yes I understand the risks of oversupply. But many, due to poor diet, are deficient in these key hormonally functional chemicals.
I'm 16 150lb and 5'6, consider yourself lucky

Quick Reply

Latest