Can anyone offer any help with these subjects (higher)?

Watch
karac24
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi. Currently i am sitting 4 highers and i'm in 5th year, i get 6 free periods a week due to sport commitments outside of school which take up a lot of time. The subjects i take are:
-Maths
-English (MacCaig poetry and The Death of a Salesman play)
-History
-Modern Studies (crash higher)

Does anyone have any study techniques that are good for any of these subjects or can give me some advice because i am finding them challenging, especially modern studies because its a crash higher!

Thank you.
pleaseentername
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
For higher maths, don't bother wasting your time rewriting your notes or anything like that. That is futile. Make sure you have good notes, multiple sources if possible, and only use them for reference. Nothing else. The only way to get a good grade in maths is to do practice questions and every single past paper you can. Many of the old higher past papers are perfectly good, if you take out a couple of questions, so don't forget about them. Don't just do them once as well, do them again and try to ace them.

Rewriting notes might be helpful in other subjects, but pointless in maths I think. As long as you have a good set of notes you understand, that's all you need. Start doing those past papers ASAP. You can only learn by practicing the questions.

Also take note of very similar questions that turn up every year in the exam. You should get full marks on them.
leavemeblank
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
For maths, loads and loads of past paper questions. Make sure you see what questions you consistently get wrong and analyse why. Get the steps for routine questions that come up most years nailed in to your head too.

English is a tough one but make sure you have a base essay you can manipulate to any question and just learn it and know how to change it to suit whatever question. For poetry, just know your poems inside out and make flashcards for all the key quotations and make sure you know these well.

Modern studies, I make sure I've prepared 20-mark 20/20 essays for everything that could come up (the vague topics like in politics- voting behaviour, voting systems, participation, parliament representatives, etc.) and make flashcards for these. (As for english, you can manipulate questions on the day even though they seem to follow the same sort of wording/questioning) Try and learn your knowledge off by heart as analysis and evaluation can be done on the day (read over all your essays to make sure you have a slight idea of what to say as analysis etc though). As for the skills questions, just make sure you practice them often and if timings an issue try lots of time practice until you get within the time constraints!

Hope this helps, feel free to message me if you need anything.
karac24
Rep:
(Original post by leavemeblank)
For maths, loads and loads of past paper questions. Make sure you see what questions you consistently get wrong and analyse why. Get the steps for routine questions that come up most years nailed in to your head too.

English is a tough one but make sure you have a base essay you can manipulate to any question and just learn it and know how to change it to suit whatever question. For poetry, just know your poems inside out and make flashcards for all the key quotations and make sure you know these well.

Modern studies, I make sure I've prepared 20-mark 20/20 essays for everything that could come up (the vague topics like in politics- voting behaviour, voting systems, participation, parliament representatives, etc.) and make flashcards for these. (As for english, you can manipulate questions on the day even though they seem to follow the same sort of wording/questioning) Try and learn your knowledge off by heart as analysis and evaluation can be done on the day (read over all your essays to make sure you have a slight idea of what to say as analysis etc though). As for the skills questions, just make sure you practice them often and if timings an issue try lots of time practice until you get within the time constraints!

Hope this helps, feel free to message me if you need anything.
Thank you so much, that's really useful!
goldilocks12
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I’m doing MacCaig for the textual analysis paper and something I’ve found really helpful for revision (particularly for the 10 mark comparison question) is writing the names of the poems down and drawing lines between them and writing notes on the lines about similarities in techniques, content, themes etc. It helps me to visualise the connections in the poems. I also make summary sheets for each poems with notes about context, themes, stanza summaries, techniques and key quotes with analysis. Hope this was helpful!
karac24
Rep:
(Original post by goldilocks12)
I’m doing MacCaig for the textual analysis paper and something I’ve found really helpful for revision (particularly for the 10 mark comparison question) is writing the names of the poems down and drawing lines between them and writing notes on the lines about similarities in techniques, content, themes etc. It helps me to visualise the connections in the poems. I also make summary sheets for each poems with notes about context, themes, stanza summaries, techniques and key quotes with analysis. Hope this was helpful!
Thank you, that was really helpful!
karac24
Rep:
(Original post by pleaseentername)
For higher maths, don't bother wasting your time rewriting your notes or anything like that. That is futile. Make sure you have good notes, multiple sources if possible, and only use them for reference. Nothing else. The only way to get a good grade in maths is to do practice questions and every single past paper you can. Many of the old higher past papers are perfectly good, if you take out a couple of questions, so don't forget about them. Don't just do them once as well, do them again and try to ace them.

Rewriting notes might be helpful in other subjects, but pointless in maths I think. As long as you have a good set of notes you understand, that's all you need. Start doing those past papers ASAP. You can only learn by practicing the questions.

Also take note of very similar questions that turn up every year in the exam. You should get full marks on them.
Thank you, that is really helpful for Maths!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.24%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.67%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (141)
26.16%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.16%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (261)
48.42%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.34%

Watched Threads