The Student Room Group

Getting Undiagnosed with Asthma

Hey! I was diagnosed with asthma at age 7 after getting a bad chest infection where i ended up in hospital. I had no symptoms at all after that and never used an inhaler until year 9 when suddenly i went through a phase were i was having an attack a day for about two weeks and then they stopped again. I had other tests done because i had other symptoms too- migranes, falling over a lot, seeing spots, and a swelling in my throat but eventually nothing was found and they all went away again. We have assumed it was just a virus.

So im stuck with an asthma diagnosis that i really dont want. Despite not using my inhalers and not having any asthma symptoms i have it on my record and it will cause big problems if i try to join the armed forces in the future.

Also i have teachers making sure i have an inhaler with me on school trips where i do not need one.

I was hoping i could have it removed from my records and be written down as asthma free, so i would be able to join the Raf. It would be annoying if i couldnt because if the asthma as i am otherwise healthy

Is this possible?
Its a fact that many people grow out of their childhood asthma so it should be possible.

Wondering how to have this done?
If i asked a doctor and they could see that i havent had an inhaler in years could they just write down ive grown out of asthma?

Any knowledge of this? Google is turning up a blank on this.

Thanks xx
Why not just go and talk to your doctor about it?
nah you cant grow out of it, you can have periods that can last up to one or two years of being symptom free, but it does come back
but it does depend on the individual, on how long this period lasts.

regarding joining the RAF, im sure they'll take it into consideration and you'll be fine as long as you train properly for it
Reply 3
Original post by CleverSquirrel
nah you cant grow out of it, you can have periods that can last up to one or two years of being symptom free, but it does come back
but it does depend on the individual, on how long this period lasts.

regarding joining the RAF, im sure they'll take it into consideration and you'll be fine as long as you train properly for it

Both the NHS and Asthma UK say that many people grow out of childhood asthma. Also i had 7 years without any symptoms an attack and then another 3 years so far sans symptoms.
Maybe i was misdiagnosed but id say growing out of it is a better way to put it lmao.

Also, i read about someone who was refused entry to raf due to accidentally circling asthma when he didnt have it- so im just being cautious, yeah?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Hey! I was diagnosed with asthma at age 7 after getting a bad chest infection where i ended up in hospital. I had no symptoms at all after that and never used an inhaler until year 9 when suddenly i went through a phase were i was having an attack a day for about two weeks and then they stopped again. I had other tests done because i had other symptoms too- migranes, falling over a lot, seeing spots, and a swelling in my throat but eventually nothing was found and they all went away again. We have assumed it was just a virus.

So im stuck with an asthma diagnosis that i really dont want. Despite not using my inhalers and not having any asthma symptoms i have it on my record and it will cause big problems if i try to join the armed forces in the future.

Also i have teachers making sure i have an inhaler with me on school trips where i do not need one.

I was hoping i could have it removed from my records and be written down as asthma free, so i would be able to join the Raf. It would be annoying if i couldnt because if the asthma as i am otherwise healthy

Is this possible?
Its a fact that many people grow out of their childhood asthma so it should be possible.

If i asked a doctor and they could see that i havent had an inhaler in years could they just write down ive grown out of asthma?

Thanks xx

Go see your GP and make your case like you have here. Tell them you do not believe you have asthma since you have not had any ongoing issues and instead think you were misdiagnosed after a chest infection. Tell them you would like their opinion and if possible to have it amended on your record.

Hope that goes well for you.
I'm moving this to health now :smile:
Original post by Anonymous

Is this possible?

Thanks xx

You can technically grow out of asthma yes I did. But then it returned... asthma can and does run in 7 year cycles.

Getting it removed from your notes I’m not sure can be done though. Even when I was no longer being treated for my asthma it was still on my background notes and I wasn’t even aware it was until I was once offered the free flu vaccine, and it wasn’t until I questioned why I had been offered it that they told me I had asthma! And I was like well no I don’t... but after speaking to both a dr and my paramedic friend I was told you can always get asthma back (which I then did a year or so later) and that it is ever truly removed from your notes for this reason I think.

Quick Reply

Latest