Turn on thread page Beta

Severe Anxiety - Career Related watch

Announcements

First and foremost I want to thank you for having the time to read my post. I am in need of some serious advice-

I'm a 19 year old college student doing a level 3 Extended Science Diploma (Last year in college for my course). I have no problems at all finishing this course to get it over and done with, however I have some very serious problems; I'm not too interested in continuing science as a career path, and in-fact I have no idea what I want to do.

I've spoken to both my lecturer and my parents about this however I just have no idea. Instead of going to university I have looked at doing some apprenticeships with online research, however I haven't found anything that I seem fit for. I can get into a serious cold sweat and begin to feel very anxious with this.

I have a few other problems which adds onto this topic:

- I was an underachiever back in my school days, and had a gap year strait after school. My grades as it stands in both English and Maths are very low. Being a F in Maths, and Both D for English lang and lit. In school I never paid attention to anything. I always would come home and leave my work until the last moment. I was that stereotypical kid who would come home and play Call of Duty.

Because of this, I fear that this will restrict me from getting any kind of career in the future. So to simply put it:

- I need some advice about my career and what to do with it.

- Any advice on revising effectively for both the GCSE levels to be at a pass grade(C or 4/5) ? Maybe some different ways I could practice at home?

That is basically it. My current way of thinking is to, once I leave college, to find a minimal wage paying job part time, save up the money to redo both the papers, and while I do that to do my best to get those GCSES.

I've lived a pretty horrible life after I finished school, I feel into deep depression, and now that I am finally back on track, I'm trying to do the things as stated above.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    You need to get better grades for English and Maths. Don't do anything until you have those ones nipped in the bud. As for how to do better. Get rid of your games console until you have done your exams. If you have a distraction in your life, nothing is going to come close to competing with it. So get rid. Honestly - life will still continue without it.

Good luck!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Moved to mental health.

ReputationRep:
    I don’t know if this will help, especially in terms of what grades you need to reach certain courses.. but you are definitely not alone.
    I studied 5 years in tourism only to come out and decide I didn’t want to work in the industry, £20k worth of debt, had to sign on the dole, fell into bad habits, depression, social isolation.. well I’m sure you can guess the rest.
    My advice? Be positive at the fact that you decided earlier rather than later, and know that options are available to you. My best friend has worked in social care for 9 years, currently she has decided to go back to college retake her gcse’s (Similar kid to you) and go into teaching. It’s never too late!
    Are there no access courses you can take after finishing? Know a girl who studied health and social at college but went to uni to do event management? Have you looked at career websites? Blogs and information online from people in similar situations?
    By the way I still don’t know what I want to do with my life.. the anxiety is temporary and so is your situation.. sorry I couldn’t be more useful in the technical stuff! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    First and foremost I want to thank you for having the time to read my post. I am in need of some serious advice-

I'm a 19 year old college student doing a level 3 Extended Science Diploma (Last year in college for my course). I have no problems at all finishing this course to get it over and done with, however I have some very serious problems; I'm not too interested in continuing science as a career path, and in-fact I have no idea what I want to do.

I've spoken to both my lecturer and my parents about this however I just have no idea. Instead of going to university I have looked at doing some apprenticeships with online research, however I haven't found anything that I seem fit for. I can get into a serious cold sweat and begin to feel very anxious with this.

I have a few other problems which adds onto this topic:

- I was an underachiever back in my school days, and had a gap year strait after school. My grades as it stands in both English and Maths are very low. Being a F in Maths, and Both D for English lang and lit. In school I never paid attention to anything. I always would come home and leave my work until the last moment. I was that stereotypical kid who would come home and play Call of Duty.

Because of this, I fear that this will restrict me from getting any kind of career in the future. So to simply put it:

- I need some advice about my career and what to do with it.

- Any advice on revising effectively for both the GCSE levels to be at a pass grade(C or 4/5) ? Maybe some different ways I could practice at home?

That is basically it. My current way of thinking is to, once I leave college, to find a minimal wage paying job part time, save up the money to redo both the papers, and while I do that to do my best to get those GCSES.

I've lived a pretty horrible life after I finished school, I feel into deep depression, and now that I am finally back on track, I'm trying to do the things as stated above.

Thanks.
    You have so many options that you don’t even know exist at this stage!
    I’m just finishing my MSc in Cancer Biology and I haven’t exactly been the perfect student and I’ve had issues along the way.
    Drop me a pm and we can talk through some options mate.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 3, 2018
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.