The Student Room Group

There's no GCSE for music. Help!

I'm very passionate about music and a few months ago we started year 10. Where we had to fill out our options there was no option for music. I was very disappointed but I went with the closest thing to that which is performing arts (Drama, Dance and Music) however we recently had a lesson where we went over the curriculum and there absolutely nothing to do with music over the course of two years. Please help me i dont know what to do.
Original post by CaseyUK
I'm very passionate about music and a few months ago we started year 10. Where we had to fill out our options there was no option for music. I was very disappointed but I went with the closest thing to that which is performing arts (Drama, Dance and Music) however we recently had a lesson where we went over the curriculum and there absolutely nothing to do with music over the course of two years. Please help me i dont know what to do.

Do they have anyone capable of teaching music?
Get your parents or you can ask why it isnt on offer.
Tell the head you want to do it and if it could be arranged that you sit it at another school or some alternative arrangement.

Is it just interest or do you play an instrument to a good level?
If they have a teacher who is capable and wiling then maybe you cna study it as a private candidate on your own with additional support from the school.
Hi, I've heard of a lot of schools who don't offer music which is really sad. 😦 if you can't find a way to do gcse music then another way around it would be to take ABRSM grade 5, both theory and practical. That way you're learning performance skills and theory skills and achieving a level 2 (equivalent to gcse ) certificate. Also I think most schools would accept that instead to gcse music in order to access the A level course. Hope I helped.😊
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
Do they have anyone capable of teaching music?
Get your parents or you can ask why it isnt on offer.
Tell the head you want to do it and if it could be arranged that you sit it at another school or some alternative arrangement.

Is it just interest or do you play an instrument to a good level?
If they have a teacher who is capable and wiling then maybe you cna study it as a private candidate on your own with additional support from the school.

I play the guitar and no there is no one in my school who knows about music.
Original post by CaseyUK
I play the guitar and no there is no one in my school who knows about music.

Go and speak to the head or you will have to make your own arrangements or go and do BTEC after GCSE.
Reply 5
Go and speak to the head or you will have to make your own arrangements or go and do BTEC after GCSE.

Ok thank you I will try that. We are already in term 3 of year 10 though so I don't know what's going to happen.
Original post by CaseyUK
Ok thank you I will try that. We are already in term 3 of year 10 though so I don't know what's going to happen.

It says in your post a few months ago and now you say that is the third term. Your own fault if you have done nothing for so long.

You can try doing a btec after gcse and continue your music exams.
Reply 7
It says in your post a few months ago and now you say that is the third term. Your own fault if you have done nothing for so long.

Yeah I didn't ask who's fault it was
- Move school if you're that passionate.

- Take Music GCSE privately however this would be difficult with coursework so you would have to spend out of school time at the nearest public college:

- Get some mates together or your parents and petition to have it made a GCSE.

- Talk to a teacher about it. Probs the solution.
Reply 9

That is a few months ago
Original post by Harriso1
- Move school if you're that passionate.

- Take Music GCSE privately however this would be difficult with coursework so you would have to spend out of school time at the nearest public college:

- Get some mates together or your parents and petition to have it made a GCSE.

- Talk to a teacher about it. Probs the solution.

School don't usually offer it because only few people are interested in it and they have to pay the teacher and they would rather pay for the equipment than for GCSE Music and usually(not always) people that are interested in music take private class
Original post by CaseyUK

This is a huge shame but unfortunately increasingly more common. It is possible to take GCSE music privately. Try searching through the posts on MED Music Services facebook page. There is an advert for private GCSE (A level as well) and follow it up if it is of interest.

Quick Reply

Latest