The Student Room Group

Are there too many lawyers?

I would love to do a law degree and then become some sort of lawyer, but I have heard that it is very hard to actually get a job afterwards. Is this actually true and is a law degree actually worth it? What other jobs can a law degree get you into?
Original post by Goldfish4343
I would love to do a law degree and then become some sort of lawyer, but I have heard that it is very hard to actually get a job afterwards. Is this actually true and is a law degree actually worth it? What other jobs can a law degree get you into?

Well Law is a very saturated field of work, there is no denying that.

Please don't be swayed by what I'm saying, if it is your dream don't let anything stop you :wink:

I know someone who just finished a Law degree last year and is still looking for a job..

All I can say is to ensure it's what you want to do for the rest of your life.

Eliminate any prestige or riches you may think will just clam on to you after you mention you're a lawyer.
vf
kway too many lawyers,be smart as over 140k lawyers are in the Uk
Reply 4
My history teacher was a lawyer for 16 years
Reply 5
Aren't all jobs competitive? I think the biggest mistake you could make is not choosing to do something because you feel it is too competitive. Normally, you do best at subjects that you do best at and a 2:1/First degree in law from a respectable uni will still open a lot of doors for you. Studying law requires a lot of skills that many employers respect whatever your field.

The only other alternative I would suggest is studying something else like a science/engineering. If you're interested in become a patent lawyer then they specifically look for those with a first degree in a science/engineering and then they pay for you to do the GDL. This way, you qualify as a lawyer BUT you also have in depth knowledge of product patents they are protecting.

A last point, is to be motivated. You can do anything if you put your mind to it. A good attitude can make all the difference. I know people who studied law at university. They didn't do the best at A Level but really excelled in their Law degree and some of them are now working for magic circle firms (i.e. the "top" most prestigious law firm). It's better to try and fail than fail before even trying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending