No we shouldn't (571)
69.38%
This discussion is closed.
Ray_Shadows
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Just a thought here , should we abolish extra time from all exams in general, in paper it might seem like a good idea because then everyone will be done on the same time (so no chance to potentially pick up marks) but in the bigger picture those with learning difficulties could be at an unfair disadvantage , discuss
Mirele
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have 'absence seizures' where I'm unconscious for a couple of seconds at a time. In an exam I often experience around 8 absences perhaps. This can be disorientating afterwards. My problem with concentration due to medication means I have to now follow written sentences with a finger because otherwise my brain skips words or lines and I can't follow the passage. I am slower in every measure, including being more clumsy writing anything down, I have to write slowly and go over everything because I miss out random words when writing. None of this happened before I developed epilepsy. There is a noticeable difference between the time I used to need and the time I need now. My answers are the same and of a similar (very slightly lower, due to memory problems I think) standard, it really is the time factor that disadvantages me, not my mind itself.

Added time means people get the chance to perform to the best of their ability: if your disability has reduced your memory/writing ability/cognitive processing or whatever, you'll still have lower marks full stop, it just means that you aren't penalised more than what is biologically a part of your disability.
username3150658
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No. If someone has severe learning difficulties e.g dyslexia, then it wouldn’t be fair. I don’t think people who get extra time - get much extra time anyway.

Who voted yes we should?

I’d LOVE to hear your side of the argument.
Ray_Shadows
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mirele)
I have 'absence seizures' where I'm unconscious for a couple of seconds at a time. In an exam I often experience around 8 absences perhaps. This can be disorientating afterwards. My problem with concentration due to medication means I have to now follow written sentences with a finger because otherwise my brain skips words or lines and I can't follow the passage. I am slower in every measure, including being more clumsy writing anything down, I have to write slowly and go over everything because I miss out random words when writing. None of this happened before I developed epilepsy. There is a noticeable difference between the time I used to need and the time I need now. My answers are the same and of a similar (very slightly lower, due to memory problems I think) standard, it really is the time factor that disadvantages me, not my mind itself.

Added time means people get the chance to perform to the best of their ability: if your disability has reduced your memory/writing ability/cognitive processing or whatever, you'll still have lower marks full stop, it just means that you aren't penalised more than what is biologically a part of your disability.
dam that must suck , hopefully things work out for you
Ray_Shadows
Rep:
?
(Original post by jabbathemuttdog)
No. If someone has severe learning difficulties e.g dyslexia, then it wouldn’t be fair. I don’t think people who get extra time - get much extra time anyway.

Who voted yes we should?

I’d LOVE to hear your side of the argument.
just to confirm it was simj179
katf
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have severe dyspraxia and an anxiety disorder. For my dyspraxia, I got to type my exams. I also got extra time to plan my answers, because my typing speed is slower than the average person's writing speed. I was also allowed rest breaks because my hand cramps severely after more than a couple of minutes of typing.

For my anxiety, I was allowed friendly invigilation and to sit in a room alone. This allowed me to focus on my work and not be distracted by the invigilator walking past. And it allowed me to avoid debilitating panic attacks.

Those adjustments put me on a level playing field with everyone else. It allowed me to think and actually do my best. Without them, I would have failed.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
The PoliticalGuy
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
People saying it isn't fair for people with dyslexia and difficulties well let me tell you something life isn't fair. If you apply for a job and you have a assignment to do at a set time limit they won't give you extra time for having dyslexia they would just decilne you.

Wake up too reality!
username3150658
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ray_Shadows)
just to confirm it was simj179
I wonder why he/she hasn’t answered.
*sips Earl Grey slowly*
username3150658
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by thepoliticalguy)
people saying it isn't fair for people with dyslexia and difficulties well let me tell you something life isn't fair. If you apply for a job and you have a assignment to do at a set time limit they won't give you extra time for having dyslexia they would just decilne you.

Wake up too reality!
um you have disabilty acts! They may not give you extra time but they woukd take it into account.
katf
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ThEpOLiTiCaLgUy)
People saying it isn't fair for people with dyslexia and difficulties well let me tell you something life isn't fair. If you apply for a job and you have a assignment to do at a set time limit they won't give you extra time for having dyslexia they would just decilne you.

Wake up too reality!
Actually, they would. Under the Equality Act, people with disabilities get reasonable adjustments.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If extra time was abolished, it would put those of us who need it at a disadvantage. It seems that people who whinge about it, are just bitter. But I'm sure if it was offered to you, you'd jump at the chance?

I'm a slow reader due to being partially sighted and I'm get tired easily because of the visual impairment I have. It takes me far longer to read something.
10cking
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I personally get extra time for my Dyslexia and it is something I really do need. I take so long to read that the extra time allows for that and for me to actually process the questions rather than ‘answer’ them. However, I heard of people who have purposely gone and got extra time and ‘faked’ the tests just to get it. I think it is absolutely sick and they should be disqualified from their exams but you know, not my call. It is these people that make me think extra time shouldn’t be allowed because it can be abused, but I know that I personally do need it, so it’s hard for me to say either way.
Avaia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Extra time is allocated to those who need it to make sure everybody is given an even chance, it makes it fair so no i do not believe it should be removed
medicalminded
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There are situations were extra time is not appropriate. For someone sitting a practical exam in medicine then you don't always get additional time. The reasoning is if a patient is dying they don't slow down the death if the doctor needs extra time.

It is about context so is not a black v white argument.
GreenDucks
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What annoys me is the people who get extra time because they're 'a slow writer' or 'slow at processing.' I understand that there are people who really need extra time, but too many people are taking advantage of the system. When I was taking my Cambridge admissions test, 3/4 who were taking it had extra time and took further maths as well. They don't have an illness or serious problem, they're clearly very clever anyway, so why do they need extra time? Just because you didn't finish an exam paper doesn't mean you need extra time.

The exam boards are making the exams shorter and shorter, meaning those with unnecessary extra time are at such an advantage now. Is it stated that you have extra time on UCAS applications? When you're at university, do you get extra time during assessments?
rezzie87
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Extra time is not a problem. People who get extra time for nothing are.

I went to a low performing college and students would come up with everything to get extra 30 min. Learning difficulties, poor handwriting, needing simpler wording of exam questions (they were all born and raised in the UK btw). Oddly enough, these problems would disappear as soon as they got out of the classroom. It's easier said than done, but there would have to be tougher regulations.

Abolishing extra time completely will put students who actually need it at disadvantage.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by GreenDucks)
What annoys me is the people who get extra time because they're 'a slow writer' or 'slow at processing.' I understand that there are people who really need extra time, but too many people are taking advantage of the system. When I was taking my Cambridge admissions test, 3/4 who were taking it had extra time and took further maths as well. They don't have an illness or serious problem, they're clearly very clever anyway, so why do they need extra time? Just because you didn't finish an exam paper doesn't mean you need extra time.

The exam boards are making the exams shorter and shorter, meaning those with unnecessary extra time are at such an advantage now. Is it stated that you have extra time on UCAS applications? When you're at university, do you get extra time during assessments?
How do you know they don't have an illness or serious problem?
Snazzyzebra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The sheer ignorance of this thread poster. Extra time is there for those with Dyslexia, Dysgraphia or Dyscalcula to ensure that they can demonstrate their intellectual potential under fairer conditions.

In years gone by otherwise healthy and intelligent individuals would have been labelled 'slow' or 'retarded' by a system that did not understand or appreciate the complexities of the human brain, valuing conformity above all else.
sexilexi
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Extra time is a very stupid idea. The whole purpose of an exam is to see how well you do and compare to others when doing an exam in an allocated period of time, and it is absolutely necessary to test everyone equally. If there is a math exam which lasts for one hour, and I complete it and get a 80/100, and a person with a disability takes two hours and also gets an 80/100, surely my 80/100 is worth more because I can handle and understand the information at a much faster rate than the disabled person. In fact I think in order to measure intelligence it’s much more valuable to see how quickly people can give in a set amount of time rather than just regurgitating facts which anyone can do. And honestly I think that if person A can get the same grade as person B gets in half the time, it is an indicator that person A is much smarter than person B to me at least as person A can think much faster, but these extra time facts are kept hidden and when applying to programs everyone is shown as if they took the equal amount of time for the exams even though it’s just not true. So overall keeping the same time for everyone shows more accurately the intelligence and aptitude of people.
GreenDucks
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Tiger Rag)
How do you know they don't have an illness or serious problem?
One clearly said to me that he asked for extra time because he didn't finish their C4 paper. That was all the proof that the learning support department needed to grant him extra time! One also said that he asked for extra time because he was a slow writer, all he had to do to prove it was to write a passage under supervision. The Cambridge admission test was a multiple choice exam.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (95)
16.7%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (60)
10.54%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (100)
17.57%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (85)
14.94%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (57)
10.02%
How can I be the best version of myself? (172)
30.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed