Report Thread starter 3 years ago
provenance, what do I have to do?
Pulchra-animo
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If this is for a history source question:
The provenance is basically where the source comes from. It includes the nature, origin and purpose of the source. You need to think about why the author wrote it (to inform? to invoke an emotion in the readers?), the standpoint of the author (their point of view...is it negative or positive?) and if it's part of the action or if they are reflecting on the action (when? where?). You might also talk about the reliability of the source and if the author might have any reason to lie/embellish the information?
Hope this helps x
Becky_katy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You can use acronym PANDA to help remember
Purpose
Author
Nature
Date
Audience
10oba-abbad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ahhhhh source questions at GCSE History. “How useful are interpretations B and C for showing how women were treated in 1939 Nazi Germany”. Half your provenance should be given with the source. Look for a date, author, what it shows, what it’s purpose may be. Link these to the question. For example say my source for the above question is a drawing by a Communist supporter of a woman being beaten up (extreme and untrue ik). I would say for provenance - It seems to be propaganda, KPD-led, shows male dominance over female as interpreted by a communist. To link back to the question i could say that it’s propaganda. So, how do i know its not just to reduce Nazi support? Its KPD made, they hated the Nazis. These affect the “usefulness of the source”. I dont know the date of production. My question asks about 1939. This drawing could be from ealier or later. Now, here is where you bring in your own knowledge and go for that magical 9. The source could have been drawn before the Nazis implemented policies such as banning of women in professional work. Thus the source could be unusefull as the way women were treated could have been far worse
emschool
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
(Original post by 10oba-abbad)
Ahhhhh source questions at GCSE History. “How useful are interpretations B and C for showing how women were treated in 1939 Nazi Germany”. Half your provenance should be given with the source. Look for a date, author, what it shows, what it’s purpose may be. Link these to the question. For example say my source for the above question is a drawing by a Communist supporter of a woman being beaten up (extreme and untrue ik). I would say for provenance - It seems to be propaganda, KPD-led, shows male dominance over female as interpreted by a communist. To link back to the question i could say that it’s propaganda. So, how do i know its not just to reduce Nazi support? Its KPD made, they hated the Nazis. These affect the “usefulness of the source”. I dont know the date of production. My question asks about 1939. This drawing could be from ealier or later. Now, here is where you bring in your own knowledge and go for that magical 9. The source could have been drawn before the Nazis implemented policies such as banning of women in professional work. Thus the source could be unusefull as the way women were treated could have been far worse
thanks so much this was very useful, I have a provenance question tomorrow
emschool
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pulchra-animo)
If this is for a history source question:
The provenance is basically where the source comes from. It includes the nature, origin and purpose of the source. You need to think about why the author wrote it (to inform? to invoke an emotion in the readers?), the standpoint of the author (their point of view...is it negative or positive?) and if it's part of the action or if they are reflecting on the action (when? where?). You might also talk about the reliability of the source and if the author might have any reason to lie/embellish the information?
Hope this helps x
thanks so much!!
10oba-abbad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by emschool)
thanks so much this was very useful, I have a provenance question tomorrow
Glad I could help! Let me know how you do. As long as you evaluate the source based on provenance and add some own knowledge, (maybe a date or fact), you should do fine. Just something I should have added. If this is like the 8 markers I get which will give 2 sources and ask something like - "How useful are sources A and B for an enquiry into the use of gas weaponry in WW2", there is a good structure to follow. Start with source A and comment on provenance - (origin and purpose etc.). Then present a short argument on why this source could be considered useful. Back it up with your own knowledge and a date or fact/figure. Eg.Source A suggests gas weaponry was used a lot during the war. This could certainly be true as, for example, I know from my own knowledge 30% of all deaths during the battle of XXXX were due to gas (that's not true its just an example). Then comment on why it might be unusefull (maybe a fact here too) and provide a *short* conclusion on whether you think its useful or not. Repeat same structure for source B ! Remember you don't need to say which is MORE USEFUL. Just whether you think it's useful or not, and provide a short reason why whilst you conclude!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (45)
40.54%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
18.92%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (6)
5.41%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
9.01%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (9)
8.11%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (8)
7.21%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (12)
10.81%

Watched Threads