Consideration and promissory estoppel help?!

Watch
spock1304
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi all, I have a contract problem question which is similar to that of High Trees involving rent payments.

More specifically, it refers to a landlord who states that they would reduce the monthly rent until the tenants were, 'in a better financial position'. Later on, landlord then states he would be increasing the rent to the original amount despite the tenants still being in financial trouble.

Would the tenants be required to pay more as there is no consideration here and its just a gratuitous promise or would promissory estoppel come into play here? or, is there executory future consideration from the tenants?

My head is about to explode!!!
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help
courteneyyyy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would think promissory estoppel would come into play here. (1) clear and unequivocal promise(2) reliance(3) inequitable in all the circumstances to resile. In High Trees the reduction was 'intended simply as a temporary expedient to deal with the exceptional conditions prevailing' - A promise 'intended to be binding, intended to be acted on and in fact acted on, is binding so far as its terms properly allow'. I'd therefore try to argue that it would be inequitable to resile on the promise as the 'exceptional circumstances are still prevailing'. I suppose it would be dependent on how long the reduction has been in effect if it was only intended to be temporary.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (437)
56.24%
I don't have everything I need (340)
43.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed