Are you naturally a happy person? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
As I person I never used to notice that I am quite a negative person and can look/be miserable. I don't like miserable /negative people so kind of have come to dislike myself. Now I try to be more positive and happy but I have to make a conscious effort I am not naturally a happy person. Anyone feel similar or have problems with depression?
ninjay
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I feel like this too, I spend most of my time being sad. Its hard to be happy but its quite easy to do happy things. This sucks because you aren't really happy, even when I'm smiling with other people, I don't truly feel happy, it really is like putting a mask on. For me actually being happy is the aim.
TheRuralJuror
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ninjay)
I feel like this too, I spend most of my time being sad. Its hard to be happy but its quite easy to do happy things. This sucks because you aren't really happy, even when I'm smiling with other people, I don't truly feel happy, it really is like putting a mask on. For me actually being happy is the aim.
but how will you achieve it ? what's the goal? what's lacking right now?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
eden3
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No, I am quite neurotic.
bluemuffin
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think that happiness requires effort — it’s hard to naturally be happy. I find mindfulness really useful, or playing piano. Basically anything that gets me “in the zone”… that’s happiness to me
abbynub
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Generally I'm a happy person, I rarely feel sad and when I do it usually goes after 20-30 minutes as I tend to forget it all- which I guess is my coping mechanism for pain etc and it works quite well tbh.
TheRuralJuror
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't think I'm happy either I think what I need in life is to disconnect from where I am grab a bag and travel meet new people.
shameful_burrito
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Lol I’m dead inside.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
Sure ...10% of the the time. The 90% involves me wanting to kms though.
Abcdefghijk123
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm the same. I have the unfortunate tendency to ruminate about bad things, and let very small things bother me, like a cup or a pen of mine going missing. I can't fully relax until it's found. The personality type of being naturally more negative is 'neuroticism' and is one of 5 personality types a person is theoried to have. My mum has depression and lots of her siblings have mental health problems so it's very likely I've inherited this trait from her.

I too need to make a conscious effort to be more positive and happy; it can be done by 'letting go' of really bad and unhelpful thoughts, eg. When I start thinking negative things about the past, I'll make a conscious effort to stop and be like in my mind 'so what shall I have for dinner tonight?' or something like that.

I do find it irritating when a person just refuses to talk negatively about anything at all - some things you're allowed to be negative about and can't really be changed by 'thinking positively'.
ninjay
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TheRuralJuror)
but how will you achieve it ? what's the goal? what's lacking right now?
Doing what makes you happy is a good way to be happy, but I'm not doing enough of it. For me relaxing after working hard and listening to music whilst I work makes me happy. The goal is to do more of this because I feel good when I do this but the problem is that I'm addicted to other things
username3590460
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
When I’m not stressed then I’m happy so Idk maybe
TheRuralJuror
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Doing what makes you happy is a good way to be happy, but I'm not doing enough of it. For me relaxing after working hard and listening to music whilst I work makes me happy. The goal is to do more of this because I feel good when I do this but the problem is that I'm addicted to other things
but that's going to become routine after a while that's not long term happyness
Royal Oak
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
To other people, yes. I'm good at pretending I'm Ok and happy.
ninjay
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
but that's going to become routine after a while that's not long term happyness
Being happy requires a balance of things e.g. work, relaxation, family, friends. All of these things in moderation makes you happy. You just need to find the time to include everything in your life and that's the real challenge, getting the balance right
TheRuralJuror
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Being happy requires a balance of things e.g. work, relaxation, family, friends. All of these things in moderation makes you happy. You just need to find the time to include everything in your life and that's the real challenge, getting the balance right
now you just sound like a ninja master or something
Jack22031994
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
As I person I never used to notice that I am quite a negative person and can look/be miserable. I don't like miserable /negative people so kind of have come to dislike myself. Now I try to be more positive and happy but I have to make a conscious effort I am not naturally a happy person. Anyone feel similar or have problems with depression?
I am but not at the moment,
shameful_burrito
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Volibear)
To other people, yes. I'm good at pretending I'm Ok and happy.
:console:

Spoiler:
Show

Me too. I should have an Oscar by now:laugh:
ninjay
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
now you just sound like a ninja master or something
That's why my nickname is ninjay, lol seriously though i'm not a master of anything I just have personal experience of what makes me happy
Lord Samosa
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m pessimistic af
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (44)
9.19%
I used to but I don't now (13)
2.71%
No, but I want to start (171)
35.7%
No, I am unable to (112)
23.38%
No, I chose not to (139)
29.02%