The Student Room Group

Apprenticeship to University

Does anyone have an experience in getting in to Uni after completing an apprenticeship? They talk it up with the “equivalent to three A levels” but that’s not reflected at all in UCAS points, which makes me wonder whether that dismissal is university’s opinion on them too. I’ve searched and searched for people who went on to uni but I can find very little. Is this just not possible?
I would email the university that you want to attend and see if they accept the qualifications gained from your apprenticeship. If not could you not do an access course or even a foundation year at university?
Reply 2
Original post by kayleighisonfire
I would email the university that you want to attend and see if they accept the qualifications gained from your apprenticeship. If not could you not do an access course or even a foundation year at university?

Yeah i’ve emailed a few, some have point blank said they don’t take them and some say they judge everyone individually and take everything into account. I’ve written a killer personal statement, got a great reference so hopefully I get in. If not i’ll probably have to do access, just sucks since I have three years of education that they said would be an equivalent and now it turns out not to be 😔
Original post by cat_mac
Yeah i’ve emailed a few, some have point blank said they don’t take them and some say they judge everyone individually and take everything into account. I’ve written a killer personal statement, got a great reference so hopefully I get in. If not i’ll probably have to do access, just sucks since I have three years of education that they said would be an equivalent and now it turns out not to be 😔

Fingers crossed, I wish you the best of luck :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by cat_mac
Does anyone have an experience in getting in to Uni after completing an apprenticeship? They talk it up with the “equivalent to three A levels” but that’s not reflected at all in UCAS points, which makes me wonder whether that dismissal is university’s opinion on them too. I’ve searched and searched for people who went on to uni but I can find very little. Is this just not possible?

Hi
I did an apprenticeship NVQ L3 and a HND L5 and i'm now at uni part time whilst still working as an engineer. I gained entry onto the last year of a BEng course. The key info here is, it can be done, however it depends on a few things:

1 - BTEC level gained with apprenticeship, L3 is equivalent to A Levels as you say, however from my own experience it was only equivalent to 2 A Levels not 3. (My BTEC was mechanical engineering L3)
2 - Have you got any AS levels A levels, a friend of mine gained entry onto a foundation year after his apprenticeship, using 2 AS levels and his BTEC L3
3 - Higher national Certficates. This is the most concrete route to go down in terms of bridging the gap between a L3 apprenticeship and a L6 degree.
4 - A HNC L4 will get you entry onto the first or in some cases second year of a 3 year degree. A
5 - HND L5 which is actually better than a foundation degree as it is more accepted by uni's. This will get you entry onto the last 2nd year or in my case the 3rd year of a degree. They seem to really like them aswell, no hassle applying either, no UCAS and no interviews etc.
I got in with accounting apprenticeship aat level 3 in terms of uni choice I got 5 offers all around the 50 mark but I went for location route rather then ranking

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending