Difference between Clinical Scientist and Biomedical Scientist?

Watch
bio8765
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello,

I am interested in working in healthcare science. I understand that to work as a Biomedical Scientist you must first complete an IBMS accredited degree and complete a 1 year training portfoilio to register with the HCPC as a Biomedical Scientist. (Or if your degree is not accredited, first apply for an assessment + complete top up modules)

The other route into healthcare science seems to be completing the STP and registering with the HCPC to work as Clinical Scientist.

What are the main differences between the two roles? Would it be possible, say, for a HCPC registered Clinical Scientist to work in/apply to a Biomedical Scientist role? Or would they have to start all over again and undertake the specific biodemical science career route?

Any thoughts or information on this would be much appreciated!
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help
RegisteredBMS
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by bio8765)
Hello,

I am interested in working in healthcare science. I understand that to work as a Biomedical Scientist you must first complete an IBMS accredited degree and complete a 1 year training portfoilio to register with the HCPC as a Biomedical Scientist. (Or if your degree is not accredited, first apply for an assessment + complete top up modules)

The other route into healthcare science seems to be completing the STP and registering with the HCPC to work as Clinical Scientist.

What are the main differences between the two roles? Would it be possible, say, for a HCPC registered Clinical Scientist to work in/apply to a Biomedical Scientist role? Or would they have to start all over again and undertake the specific biodemical science career route?

Any thoughts or information on this would be much appreciated!
Hi,

I can help you with this. I am a HCPC registered Biomedical Scientist currently working in a NHS laboratory.

You've already differentiated quite well between the two, many make the mistake that the STP is required to be a BMS, which as you are, it isn't. The STP is to become a Clinical Scientist. Whilst the STP only requires a generic science degree, a Biomedical Scientist can apply for the STP and, given their experience, would be at a benefit. Clinical Scientist's are less laboratory based than the BMS team. Their abundance also varies across the pathology disciplines. An example is that in Microbiology you will have less than a handful nationwide in comparison to genetics where you will have labs full of them wherever you encounter a genetics laboratory. Biochemistry also tends to have a handful per laboratory. They deal with more of the clinical interpretation and act as a go-between for the clinical staff on the wards and the laboratory for any clinical advice that is required. The BMS's are not allowed to provide clinical advice. They can inform the ward of a result, but they cannot clinically advice on it. The Clinical Scientist will have the full picture available to them that the BMS will not.

Secondly, you discussed completing the STP, registering as a Clinical Scientist but then working as a Biomedical Scientist. This is not possible due to the regulation of the HCPC. You would be a registered Clinical Scientist, not Biomedical Scientist. Registration is not just about proving initial competence, but it ensures continued competence.

You discussed routes into becoming a Biomedical Scientist. At University, the STP is known as MSc Healthcare Science (Life Science). However, there is an undergraduate version which is the PTP. BSc Healthcare Science (Life Science). This is a 3 year degree which includes your HCPC registration to become a Biomedical Scientist. This is shorter than the other routes you mentioned. It is the fastest, most direct route to becoming a Biomedical Scientist.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (205)
43.9%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (52)
11.13%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (36)
7.71%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (99)
21.2%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (48)
10.28%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.78%

Watched Threads