The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's just a normal medical thing. I had to fill out a vaccination history and have to subject to blood tests and furter immunisations when I begin the course..
So... if you haven't had the BCG, you'll be made to have a Heaf test (is that how it's spelt?) and... Hep B vaccination, and any others that you haven't had already.
Reply 2
oh yeah... and well done!
Reply 3
You have to be vaccinated against BCG?...
B****r.. apparently that nails. Managed to get out of that at 13.. concientious objector.
Reply 4
Hmm.. if you're doing veterinary medicine, you might not need it ... but I think you probably will.. TB is transmitted through animals as well, I think. Yeah... some people react really badly to the injection, and you're always left with a scar...so, hope you have natural immunity!
Reply 5
why would you object anyway?
Reply 6
it doesnt hurt that much.
now you have to pay for it though dont you?
some people pus and everything but mine was completely fine, and i only have a barely visible scar now
Reply 7
It hurts, not even 90% effective and it only lasts until you're 24. Chances of contracting TB are minimal if everyone else has the vaccine.
Reply 8
well mine really hurt and they got all infected and pussy most peoples i know did
Reply 9
Mouse01
It hurts, not even 90% effective and it only lasts until you're 24. Chances of contracting TB are minimal if everyone else has the vaccine.

and because of that reasoning, now TB is on the rise :p:
Reply 10
That and antibiotic resistance.
Reply 11
that too.
Reply 12
oh ive jst checked me ucas thing and i need occupational health clearance for bristol 2 bt it says there send a form in may so i dnt think its anything 2 worry bout i reckon they need it from everyone.
can people can tb off cows or badgers?
Reply 14
One girl at my school showed up on the heaf test as having TB immunity, they still gave the injection, which created a hugh blister and left a scar the size of a pound coin. Mine didnt hurt as much as I expected and only a have a small scar.
Mouse01
My offer to Bristol is subject to "obtaining Occupational Health Clearance". Can anyone tell me what this involves? Is it just a normal medical or are they really anal and take blood/urine samples to test, etc.
Cheers
Mouse

Do not worry, they don't whack out the lube and rubber gloves :biggrin: (apparently the security guards at Langford do though:eek: )

Its a bit more thorough than just immunisations and vaccinations, thats a bit later on down the line. At Bristol i got sent a questionaire/assessment asking about whether i had any disabilities, allergies, long term illnesses, on long term medication, level of fitness, etc. Then if anything dodgy gets flagged you'll be called up and questioned a bit more by the nurse. Its just to see whether you are physically capable of doing the course. Then, once you've got actually in, Bristol will send you another form with a table on with all the vaccinations you need and boxes for the dates of when you had it, that you take to your doc/nurse to get needled up.

You are able to work around most of the problems. From a show of hands at the start of term at least 10% of people in my year had an animal allergy. You have a health and safety talk, you get told to take special precuations, end of. It just means you might have to wear gloves, masks, etc and have a mate watch over you to make sure you don't make things really difficult by dying. Or that you limit your contact with certain animals.
Annaconda
can people can tb off cows or badgers?

People can catch all 3 types
mycobacterium avium
mycobacterium bovis/badger
Mycobacterium tuberculosis
Sure, bTB isn't pleasant but there are many other things which you are exposed to being a vet, and many things which you can contract and will probably experience. 10-20% of my year went down with Cryptosporidium after a trip to the goat farm, one girl was so bad that she had to be taken to hospital. And that was just from playing with the kiddies and having our photographs taken with them.

As with most things if you exhibit good personal hygiene and biosecurity you should be fine.
Hi,
I'm a 1st year at Bristol so i can actually answer a question on here for once. Basically Bristol send you a form that you have to fill in with all your vaccinations and their dates, your height and weight (they work out your BMI) and any other info that might be relevant e.g animal allergy, diabetes or dyslexia. You will need to get your form signed and stamped by your GP which they can (and usually do) charge for and you have to pay not the uni.
As far as jabs go you need to MMR, tetanus, Polio, Meningitus C, BCG etc. I was reading peoples posts about BCG, if you don't have it, it doesn't matter BUT you will have to have the Manoux test even if you passed the Heaf test (this is happening this week to the 8 or 9 people without BCG). To be honest the BCG propably is the worst injection you will have (and i hate injections) but as long as you leave it alone and don't knock it (or get punched in the arm) it will be fine - my scar is only a couple of mm across. I haven't had any hepatitus jabs or the like and only medical student need these, but if there are jabs you need they will tell you and you can get them at your GP or when you get to uni.
As far as allergies go, they can't discriminate against you for it and there are lots of people with them on the course. They are always reminding us that they are totally normal and that 1/3 of people who work with animals have or develop an allergy and they will even get you a special mask if you need one.
With learning disabilities and some other disabilities you are given extra time in exams and may be allowed to use a computer instead of writing if this helps.
I hope this post has helped to clear this all up and if you have anymore questions about Bristol, please ask.
My TB got infected, loads of idiots went around punching each other and my arm swelled up really bad. I woke up one morning and my arm ached so much I could barely move it, I went to have a look at it and the pressure of me touching it made it explode like a balloon!!! :eek: It was rate gross.

Latest

Trending

Trending