4everfarhia
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Read the following extract from Act 2 Scene 2 of Macbeth and then answer the question that follows.
At this point in the play Macbeth has just killed Duncan. When he comes out of Duncan’s chamber, he has forgotten to put the bloody knives on the sleeping guards (grooms).
LADY MACBETH
Go get some water,
And wash this filthy witness from your hand.
Why did you bring these daggers from the place?
They must lie there: go carry them; and smear
The sleepy grooms with blood.

MACBETH
I'll go no more:
I am afraid to think what I have done;
Look on't again I dare not.

LADY MACBETH
Infirm of purpose!
Give me the daggers: the sleeping and the dead
Are but as pictures: 'tis the eye of childhood
That fears a painted devil. If he do bleed,
I'll gild the faces of the grooms withal;
For it must seem their guilt.
Exit. Knocking within
MACBETH
Whence is that knocking?
How is't with me, when every noise appals me?
What hands are here? ha! they pluck out mine eyes.
Will all great Neptune's ocean wash this blood
Clean from my hand? No, this my hand will rather
The multitudinous seas in incarnadine,
Making the green one red.
Exeunt

Starting with this extract, explain how Shakespeare presents violence in the play.

Write about:
• how Shakespeare presents how characters react to violence in this speech
• how Shakespeare presents attitudes to violence in the play as a whole

[30 marks]
SPAG [4 marks]
4everfarhia
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Can anyone please help me with that homework
asian_supernova
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It presents elements of crime/ violence using the words 'daggers', 'blood' and 'filthy witness'.

You could also analyse the roles that Lord and Lady Macbeth hold in this extract - the Lady is dominant and acts fast, leading Macbeth to do this and that in order to succeed with their original plan. She also states: ' Infirm of purpose!
That fears a painted devil.'
Showing that she does not believe that their plot is wrong as it doesn't affect her as it affects him (I'll go no more: I am afraid to think what I have done; Look on't again I dare not.). This is an change of gender roles of the time period because contextually women were not seen to be involved in official matters such as "politics" and they were also portrayed to be soft and submissive to the dominant male. Shakespeare uses her as a tool for feminism and to show that women have more potential than the male at times and should be given opportunities - a work that also reflect a similar theme is twelfth night.

Shakespeare presents violence and crime in a generic manner: the rise of the character happens by unmoral means to gain power and the character falls due to guilt/ a revenge plot - Lady Macbeth falls to her demise due to madness and the Lord is killed by a descendant of Duncan (I think).
asian_supernova
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It presents elements of crime/ violence using the words 'daggers', 'blood' and 'filthy witness'.

You could also analyse the roles that Lord and Lady Macbeth hold in this extract - the Lady is dominant and acts fast, leading Macbeth to do this and that in order to succeed with their original plan. She also states: ' Infirm of purpose!
That fears a painted devil.'
Showing that she does not believe that their plot is wrong as it doesn't affect her as it affects him (I'll go no more: I am afraid to think what I have done; Look on't again I dare not.). This is an change of gender roles of the time period because contextually women were not seen to be involved in official matters such as "politics" and they were also portrayed to be soft and submissive to the dominant male. Shakespeare uses her as a tool for feminism and to show that women have more potential than the male at times and should be given opportunities - a work that also reflect a similar theme is twelfth night.

Shakespeare presents violence and crime in a generic manner: the rise of the character happens by unmoral means to gain power and the character falls due to guilt/ a revenge plot - Lady Macbeth falls to her demise due to madness and the Lord is killed by a descendant of Duncan (I think)

You could also link the use of Neptune (Roman god, I think) and analyse how innately Macbeth is faithfully intact. But research him and see if he is relevant.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (115)
24.78%
Pop (108)
23.28%
Jazz (20)
4.31%
Classical (23)
4.96%
Hip-Hop (87)
18.75%
Electronic (37)
7.97%
Indie (74)
15.95%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise