The Student Room Group

Atempt of cancelation

Hi there,

SFE canceled my previous postraduate loan application due to account inactivity, to which I received a letter, but when I went to make a new application for a new postgraduate loan 2017/18, the system says I can't due to my active previous application.
Yet the system doesn't allow me to cancel said application because suppousedly it was already canceled by SFE themselves.
How should I proceed?
I've called SFE and the callperson told me to cancel the previous application online but the website doesn't give me that option.

My classes star at 15th January 2018, I only have a few weeks before the classes start, I can't aford to send yet another request for a loan by mail and wait weeks to receive an SFE letter saying I'm eligible or not for the new application.
Reply 1
Original post by luisaf
Hi there,

SFE canceled my previous postraduate loan application due to account inactivity, to which I received a letter, but when I went to make a new application for a new postgraduate loan 2017/18, the system says I can't due to my active previous application.
Yet the system doesn't allow me to cancel said application because suppousedly it was already canceled by SFE themselves.
How should I proceed?
I've called SFE and the callperson told me to cancel the previous application online but the website doesn't give me that option.

My classes star at 15th January 2018, I only have a few weeks before the classes start, I can't aford to send yet another request for a loan by mail and wait weeks to receive an SFE letter saying I'm eligible or not for the new application.

Even if you weren't having this error, you've left it far too late to get sorted for January 15th. SFE quote 6 weeks as their standard processing time.

Your best option is to send a paper application form. As you've found, the call centre don't always fix issues.
Reply 2
Original post by Juno
Even if you weren't having this error, you've left it far too late to get sorted for January 15th. SFE quote 6 weeks as their standard processing time.

Your best option is to send a paper application form. As you've found, the call centre don't always fix issues.

I've already sent a change of circumstances in November to SFE but weeks later they sent me a letter saying I was ineligible because of my previous "active" application that was sent out for a course in 2016/17, my new one is 2017/18. True now we're running out of time, but even if I send another change of circumstances the answer will be the same will it not? And when I called the SFE they told me to cancel the previous one and request a new one. Now what? If I send a whole new paper application will it be too late?
Reply 3
Original post by luisaf
I've already sent a change of circumstances in November to SFE but weeks later they sent me a letter saying I was ineligible because of my previous "active" application that was sent out for a course in 2016/17, my new one is 2017/18. True now we're running out of time, but even if I send another change of circumstances the answer will be the same will it not? And when I called the SFE they told me to cancel the previous one and request a new one. Now what? If I send a whole new paper application will it be too late?

If you initially applied for 2016/17 and are now applying for 2017/18, you don't need to send a change of circumstances. You need to send a whole new application, because you're applying for a different year. The reason you were ineligible is because you didn't send the correct form.

Yes, it will be too late to get the loan in time. If you send the form now it won't get to them til at least Thursday, so you've given them just over a week to assess your application when they usually take 6. You'll still get the loan you're entitled to, but you won't receive it until at least February.
Reply 4
Original post by Juno
If you initially applied for 2016/17 and are now applying for 2017/18, you don't need to send a change of circumstances. You need to send a whole new application, because you're applying for a different year. The reason you were ineligible is because you didn't send the correct form.

Yes, it will be too late to get the loan in time. If you send the form now it won't get to them til at least Thursday, so you've given them just over a week to assess your application when they usually take 6. You'll still get the loan you're entitled to, but you won't receive it until at least February.

I see, thank you, so in this case I should'nt apply for a loan and cancel my University appilcation as well? The University says those who apply with student loan aren't affected by the same rules as the others to pay their fees in the standart limit of time. So you think that maybe if I set up to receive the loan in Februray it might be on time for the university to receive the payement without having to give up on my masters alltogether?
Reply 5
Original post by luisaf
I see, thank you, so in this case I should'nt apply for a loan and cancel my University appilcation as well? The University says those who apply with student loan aren't affected by the same rules as the others to pay their fees in the standart limit of time. So you think that maybe if I set up to receive the loan in Februray it might be on time for the university to receive the payement without having to give up on my masters alltogether?

I think you should defer your university application based on the level of English skills displayed in your posts. I feel that you will not be able to cope with Masters level work with your current level of proficiency.

If you feel that your English skills are better than displayed, you need to consider whether you can financially afford to wait until February for the loan, bearing in mind that 6 weeks is more towards the end of the month. The university fees are part of the problem, but you also need to consider your living costs which includes accommodation, transport and food.
Reply 6
Original post by Juno
I think you should defer your university application based on the level of English skills displayed in your posts. I feel that you will not be able to cope with Masters level work with your current level of proficiency.

If you feel that your English skills are better than displayed, you need to consider whether you can financially afford to wait until February for the loan, bearing in mind that 6 weeks is more towards the end of the month. The university fees are part of the problem, but you also need to consider your living costs which includes accommodation, transport and food.

Right at the moment that's not particularly the issue, the problem here really is that the SFE isn't allowing me to create a new application without canceling the previous one, which the system isn't allowing me to do either way, so it goes around in a circle. That's what I need to fix somehow.
Now regarding the matter of language gap I have colleagues of mine with far more basic english skills and they're taking masters or have completed it, so perhaps that's not in question.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by luisaf
Right at the moment that's not particularly the issue, the problem here really is that the SFE isn't allowing me to create a new application without canceling the previous one, which the system isn't allowing me to do either way, so it goes around in a circle. That's what I need to fix somehow.
Now regarding the matter of language gap I have colleagues of mine with far more basic english skills and they're taking masters or have completed it, so perhaps that's not in question.

You've just proven my point by missing the whole point.
Reply 8
Original post by Juno
You've just proven my point by missing the whole point.

I'm merely accentuating the reason why I haven't been able to fix my application issue and why I came here for advice in how to cancel an application.
Reply 9
Original post by luisaf
I'm merely accentuating the reason why I haven't been able to fix my application issue and why I came here for advice in how to cancel an application.

And I've given you that advice, but your English skills aren't good enough to realise that. If you can't cope with a student finance application, you cannot cope with the demands of a masters degree.
Reply 10
Original post by Juno
And I've given you that advice, but your English skills aren't good enough to realise that. If you can't cope with a student finance application, you cannot cope with the demands of a masters degree.

Your advice hasn't told me yet how to cancel an application, you just told me to apply for a new one (paper form or otherwise), which wont be accepted due to my previous "active" application. There's no need to attack me just because you don't know how to solve a system issue.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
The "system issue" is that you applied for the wrong thing.

Original post by luisaf
Your advice hasn't told me yet how to cancel an application, you just told me to apply for a new one (paper form or otherwise), which wont be accepted due to my previous "active" application. There's no need to attack me just because you don't know how to solve a system issue.
Original post by luisaf
Hi there,

How should I proceed?

Hi luisaf,

I appreciate your frustration let me try to assist you.

If you have applied in academic year 2016/17 and your application has been auto cancelled due to inactivity, you will have received a letter like this,

You started a Postgraduate Loan application, but didn't finish this. Because your account has been inactive, we've cancelled your application for this year.

This decision won't affect your ability to apply again in future. If you decide to study for a postgraduate master's qualification, you can still apply for a loan from us online. Make sure you use the same account details.

If for any reason the system will not allow you to apply online, then you can print a paper version of the form, for the appropriate academic year from here and you can be confident we will data enter it for you.

http://bit.ly/28XNE4r

These applications are currently taking about nine working days to be data entered.

Regards Rona

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending