The Student Room Group

Pilot in the RAF.

Hello,

I'm in my final year at Loughborough university. I have been exposed to a military background for the majority of my life (father was a pilot on VC10s). I have always been interested in the RAF but within the last few years, I have become particularly interested. I went to the UAS interviews last year, I got to the 'last 10%' and despite being relatively confident, my application wasn't accepted. Looking back on it, I had no flying experience and my CV wasn't that impressive, so I actually think I did quite well to get that far.

Since then I have done many extra curricular activities and achieved many more things like learning how to glide. So what i'm asking is, what is it that RAF recruiters really look for when becoming a pilot? What could I do between now and finishing uni to really to improve my chances?

I ask this as I feel less confident that those who are in the UAS have a much better chance so could be potentially a waste of my time.
Reply 1
Original post by Ryan Hunter
Hello,

I'm in my final year at Loughborough university. I have been exposed to a military background for the majority of my life (father was a pilot on VC10s). I have always been interested in the RAF but within the last few years, I have become particularly interested. I went to the UAS interviews last year, I got to the 'last 10%' and despite being relatively confident, my application wasn't accepted. Looking back on it, I had no flying experience and my CV wasn't that impressive, so I actually think I did quite well to get that far.

Since then I have done many extra curricular activities and achieved many more things like learning how to glide. So what i'm asking is, what is it that RAF recruiters really look for when becoming a pilot? What could I do between now and finishing uni to really to improve my chances?

I ask this as I feel less confident that those who are in the UAS have a much better chance so could be potentially a waste of my time.

You're going to be applying for a position as an officer in the RAF. You need to demonstrate that you have leadership potential. How you do that is your call... Being confident about yourself is a big part of that.

Beyond that, all the selection hoops are talked about here in great detail, read up on them, see how it looks to you.

Fyi, lack of flying experience is unlikely to be the reason you didn't get on the UAS, but not being on one won't hinder your chances should you try to join.

Quick Reply

Latest