Jillie Boe
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hey there!

Basically we had BT line rental in our student house - I set it up last August and now everyone's leaving and living somewhere else next year (me included).

New tennants are allowed in the house by August so I don't really want the phone line to still be active and in my name when they move in.

I thought I was on a 12 month contract automatically but someone's just told me BT line rental is a 3 month contract. I had a lot of problems setting it all up and don't really want to wait on the phone for an hour just for them to tell me that.

Ideally I'd like to stop it in June but if I'm on the 12 month contract I won't be able to do that will I? I never signed anything to say I was; nor do I remember agreeing.

Does anyone know if it's a three month or 12 month and/or if it is 12 month do you think if I explain the situation they won't send out a charge?

Just a bit worried about it now.

Thanks.

P.S: If this is in the wrong place move it. I really had no idea where to put it.
alex p
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
on our bt we pay internet and line rental charges every 3 months for a year.
joeydeacon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
BT is the root of all evil.
gilbo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i thought the minimum contract is 3 months then you are free to take your line rental with someone else like talktalk which is cheaper!

The year contract could apply to your broadband service? This is usually a year
Jillie Boe
Rep:
?
I thought it might apply to broadband - I've just looked on their website.

We only have line rental with them - our internet is with someone else (orange).

I have been told it'd 3 months but I've also heard 12 months - maybe it is for the internet.

If say it is 12 months and I cancel it in June do you think I'll just have to pay for the other two months?

And I agree, BT is the route of all evil.
Jillie Boe
Rep:
?
(Original post by alex p)
on our bt we pay internet and line rental charges every 3 months for a year.
Yeah, that just means you pay quarterly.

But your contract might be a year? =/
gilbo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If your orange broadband contract is 1 year i think you are obliged to pay the full year.

Therefore you obviously have to pay line rental for that period as well.. does that sound right?
Jillie Boe
Rep:
?
(Original post by gilbo)
If your orange broadband contract is 1 year i think you are obliged to pay the full year.

Therefore you obviously have to pay line rental for that period as well.. does that sound right?
I have no idea. Our internet is an 18 month contract but that's not in my name so I'm not even thinking about that at the moment.

=/
la fille danse
  • CV Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You'll have to pay for the rest of the contract and a cancellation charge. The charge was 45 pounds for me last year.
Paeony
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I really doubt that it's a 3 month contract, when I signed up to BT last year (and god how I hate them) I was given the option of either a 12 month or an 18 month contract, billable monthly, but paid by direct debit. I *think* there was an option for quarterly billing but I didn't take that.

I was told that if I wanted to cancel, I'd be charged a seventy pound cancellation charge. I know you'll probably be on hold for an absolute age, but it's probably worth finding out where you stand with the contract before you cancel. If you dial 150 from your BT line it's free anyway.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.8%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.76%
I don't think they'd understand (51)
15.09%
It might lead to more bullying (129)
38.17%
There's nothing they could do (102)
30.18%

Watched Threads