Accounting university graduate vs AAT apprenticeship leaver.

Watch
jav747
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I have heard from a friend that apprenticeship leavers are more ready for work. But bigger companies prefer university graduates. Is this true in accounting? I would love to work for a big accounting firm and have applied to both university and AAT apprenticeships. Apprenticeships are my first choice.
natninja
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jav747)
I have heard from a friend that apprenticeship leavers are more ready for work. But bigger companies prefer university graduates. Is this true in accounting? I would love to work for a big accounting firm and have applied to both university and AAT apprenticeships. Apprenticeships are my first choice.
Sort of. If you want to remain in public practice it doesn’t really matter but if you want to move to industry the graduate route would generally be better as a lot of newly qualified accountant jobs now ask for a degree. Personally I wouldn’t advise an AAT apprenticeship - often you’ll still be recruiting into apprentice jobs for ACA even with AAT but there are many ACA apprenticeships around. If you do an AAT apprenticeship try to make sure you get one with the ACA as a follow on.
jav747
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by natninja)
Sort of. If you want to remain in public practice it doesn’t really matter but if you want to move to industry the graduate route would generally be better as a lot of newly qualified accountant jobs now ask for a degree. Personally I wouldn’t advise an AAT apprenticeship - often you’ll still be recruiting into apprentice jobs for ACA even with AAT but there are many ACA apprenticeships around. If you do an AAT apprenticeship try to make sure you get one with the ACA as a follow on.
What's the difference between public practise and industry? I am actually looking to go into ACCA rather than ACA after AAT apprenticeship/university. What I like about AAT is that I have read full time jobs are available for AAT qualified accountants, but I am not sure if the bigger firms will accept AAT. I have also read apprentices are more desired than university graduates since they have the can do attitude and more experience.
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jav747)
Why not apply for an apprenticeship at a big accounting firm?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (293)
55.7%
I don't have everything I need (233)
44.3%

Watched Threads