Biopsychology-ways of studying the brain... Watch

Carly2289
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm year 13 and revising biopsychology for mock exams this month. In the 'ways of studying the brain' section, event related potentials are under the title of scanning techniques but I'm really confused because when reading the paragraph about it, it doesn't sound like a way of studying the brain, it sounds more like something that is studied?

I might just be reading it all wrong but I'm really confused about what event related potentials actually are and how they fit into the topic of ways of studying the brain?

Thank you in advance to anyone that can help! x
makami11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Carly2289)
I'm year 13 and revising biopsychology for mock exams this month. In the 'ways of studying the brain' section, event related potentials are under the title of scanning techniques but I'm really confused because when reading the paragraph about it, it doesn't sound like a way of studying the brain, it sounds more like something that is studied?

I might just be reading it all wrong but I'm really confused about what event related potentials actually are and how they fit into the topic of ways of studying the brain?

Thank you in advance to anyone that can help! x
ERP's on a whole is a scanning technique because electrodes are placed on the scalp, which picks up signals (as events) from the brain. The actual ERP is the wave (response) that occurs after a stimulus is presented to a participant (for example a picture/sound) and the researcher looks for activity related to that stimulus.

Hope this helps!
Carly2289
Rep:
?
(Original post by makami11)
ERP's on a whole is a scanning technique because electrodes are placed on the scalp, which picks up signals (as events) from the brain. The actual ERP is the wave (response) that occurs after a stimulus is presented to a participant (for example a picture/sound) and the researcher looks for activity related to that stimulus.

Hope this helps!
Oh ok, thank you! So is it sort of like an electroencephalogram?
makami11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Carly2289)
Oh ok, thank you! So is it sort of like an electroencephalogram?
Yep, it is like an EEG, as they both attach electrodes to the scalp, but EEGs are slightly different as the electrodes pick up electrical charges from the brain, and forms a wave pattern that comes out onto a graph!

This site tutor2u explains it quite well: https://www.tutor2u.net/psychology/r...oencephalogram

And they also have videos that helped me during my exam: https://www.tutor2u.net/psychology/r...y-topic-videos
Carly2289
Rep:
?
(Original post by makami11)
Yep, it is like an EEG, as they both attach electrodes to the scalp, but EEGs are slightly different as the electrodes pick up electrical charges from the brain, and forms a wave pattern that comes out onto a graph!

This site tutor2u explains it quite well: https://www.tutor2u.net/psychology/r...oencephalogram

And they also have videos that helped me during my exam: https://www.tutor2u.net/psychology/r...y-topic-videos
Thank you so much! I normally find psychology easy to understand, but ERPs are just the one small part I've never been able to understand! Thank you!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (134)
18.23%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
9.93%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (127)
17.28%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (105)
14.29%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (72)
9.8%
How can I be the best version of myself? (224)
30.48%

Watched Threads