Why isn't there a drop in Ionisation energy after group 1?

Watch this thread
RickHendricks
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Ok so we know that the ionisation energy drops in group 6 and it's because electrons are now taken from pre occupied orbitals, causing repulsion, so it's easier to remove electrons.

If this occurs due to the repulsion of the other electron, why is it not happening in group 2?

In group 2, you're essentially removing an electron from an orbital with 2 electrons already, so surely there would be repulsion from the other electron in the s orbital, hence being easier to remove an electron, however the text books state that it increases after group 1, and does not decrease, but decreases in group 6, when in reality we are looking at two similar situations.

EDIT: When I said group 2, I meant as in why does it not decrease after group 1, because when you're removing an electron from group 2 element, you're removing an electron from a preoccupied shell, meaning that there is repulsion from the other electron.
Deliciate
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
Which exam board are you taking? In my textbook it says that there is a decrease between groups 2 and 3 and 5 and 6.
Ugandan Prince
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Do some revision.
RickHendricks
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Deliciate)
Which exam board are you taking? In my textbook it says that there is a decrease between groups 2 and 3 and 5 and 6.
I meant as it, why does it not decrease after group 1, because you're removing an electron from a preoccupied shell.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (37)
35.58%
The paper was reasonable (40)
38.46%
Not feeling great about that exam... (17)
16.35%
It was TERRIBLE (10)
9.62%

Watched Threads