S_Banfield101
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi All,

Can you help?

The Medical section of the RAF eligibility states that someone with "Significant hearing loss" cannot apply for the RAF. How does one define this??

I have hearing loss in both ears and occasionally wear a hearing aid for the quieter meetings etc in work, and sometimes watching TV, but I am not reliant on it.

If anyone has experienced this (or anything similar) can you comment?

thanks in advance!

Steve
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by S_Banfield101)
I suspect that meets the definition for 'significant hearing loss' but the only way to be certain is to make an application and go through the medical process as decisions like that are made on a case by case basis. They'd have to read your medical records and do their own hearing tests etc to make a decision.
WRJ11
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello all! I recently had my RAF medical and just wanted to shed some advice that I wish I had heard prior too it! So it won’t apply to everyone, but if you have any form of metal plating in your lower limbs (eg. Repaired broken ankle etc...) you will not pass the medical before you do a 3 month exercise diary. Unfortunately that was the case for me so have been delayed 3 months at least before OASC. I’m not 100% sure this is possible but I would say if the above info applies to you, I would reach out to your AFCO and ask if you could start the diary ASAP so that it doesn’t hold you up. I hope this helps! If anyone has any questions feel free to give me a message 👍
fjthur
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi, just wondering whether you have any more news on this issue? I also have the same problem and am looking to apply to be an intelligence officer.
Brizegal
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My brother is applying and had a metal rod in his ankle. Would you mind telling me the damage you had to your ankle? My brother has limited movement as in side to side but is perfectly fine to run on it etc, walks normally and doesn’t have any issues with it. Wondered if he’d be ruled out....?
AlphaTango
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Brizegal)
My brother is applying and had a metal rod in his ankle. Would you mind telling me the damage you had to your ankle? My brother has limited movement as in side to side but is perfectly fine to run on it etc, walks normally and doesn’t have any issues with it. Wondered if he’d be ruled out....?
For medical matters its case by case basis by a doctor, there isn't much anecdotal information for this forum can do to help i'm afraid. The egilibity is published on the website.
Meesh800
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey just wondering how you got on with this? Do you still have the metalwork in place? I have some metalwork in my right ankle and am really hoping this doesn’t effect my application so would be interested to know how you got on? thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (412)
56.36%
I don't have everything I need (319)
43.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed