Aimhigh07
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi everyone.
I have an interview for social care at NTU. I have to write an essay critically discussing the conflicting purposes and challenges of social work. I've tried researching this to give me an understanding but I'm at abit of a loss. Can anyone help me to understand what is meant by conflicting purposes and challenges?

Thankyou in advance
Abbiejadex
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Maybe its knowing what needs to be done but not having the power to do it. The first thing that comes to mind is the restraints and limitations of support offered to the service user due to social work budget cuts, not meeting eligibility criteria (Care Act 2014) which might then have a significant affect on their needs/wellbeing and therefore have the opposite effect of what social workers are trying to achieve for the service user. On the other hand social workers are required to promote self-determination but they may also be required to detain someone under the Mental Health Act against their will or break confidentiality if someone is putting themselves or others at risk of danger. The need to put your own values and standards aside and sometimes allow someone to continue living the way they are/want to even if you dont agree with it. Eg a drug user or someone in a violent relationship. A lot of people have preconceived ideas about social workers as well so it can be hard to gain the trust of service users eg if you are trying to support a family they are likely to not want to work with you over fears that you will remove their children equally society generally have a poor view of social workers due to the media which never shares the thousands of positive things social workers do everyday. Multiagency working can also be an issue where Ive found some authorities not wanting to or not being able to afford to support a family so instead try to pass the responsibility to adults services who then pass back to childrens, none of which promotes good outcomes. Theres often a challenge when it comes to safeguarding vs promoting independence, freedom and choice etc for adults who have disabilities for example and their parents often understandably want to wrap them in cotton wool but the social worker wants to encourage the adult to learn new skills and become independent especially for when their parents are no longer here but the parents often take some persuading to let their son/daughter go on a bus for the first time for example. Maybe also religious/cultural dilemmas - some countries children arent allowed to look adults in the eye as it is seen to be disrespectful but if they moved to UK and a SW was interviewing them regarding child abuse, the SW may think the child was trying to hide something. Also some cultures encourage physical discipline against children and wives however in Britain that is against the law but SW are required to be culturally sensitive....

Sorry about the essay, I got slightly carried away! Hope it makes some sense lol, good luck! 😀
Aimhigh07
Rep:
?
(Original post by Abbiejadex)
Maybe its knowing what needs to be done but not having the power to do it. The first thing that comes to mind is the restraints and limitations of support offered to the service user due to social work budget cuts, not meeting eligibility criteria (Care Act 2014) which might then have a significant affect on their needs/wellbeing and therefore have the opposite effect of what social workers are trying to achieve for the service user. On the other hand social workers are required to promote self-determination but they may also be required to detain someone under the Mental Health Act against their will or break confidentiality if someone is putting themselves or others at risk of danger. The need to put your own values and standards aside and sometimes allow someone to continue living the way they are/want to even if you dont agree with it. Eg a drug user or someone in a violent relationship. A lot of people have preconceived ideas about social workers as well so it can be hard to gain the trust of service users eg if you are trying to support a family they are likely to not want to work with you over fears that you will remove their children equally society generally have a poor view of social workers due to the media which never shares the thousands of positive things social workers do everyday. Multiagency working can also be an issue where Ive found some authorities not wanting to or not being able to afford to support a family so instead try to pass the responsibility to adults services who then pass back to childrens, none of which promotes good outcomes. Theres often a challenge when it comes to safeguarding vs promoting independence, freedom and choice etc for adults who have disabilities for example and their parents often understandably want to wrap them in cotton wool but the social worker wants to encourage the adult to learn new skills and become independent especially for when their parents are no longer here but the parents often take some persuading to let their son/daughter go on a bus for the first time for example. Maybe also religious/cultural dilemmas - some countries children arent allowed to look adults in the eye as it is seen to be disrespectful but if they moved to UK and a SW was interviewing them regarding child abuse, the SW may think the child was trying to hide something. Also some cultures encourage physical discipline against children and wives however in Britain that is against the law but SW are required to be culturally sensitive....

Sorry about the essay, I got slightly carried away! Hope it makes some sense lol, good luck! 😀
Thankyou so much, that's been so much help to me.
Abbiejadex
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Aimhigh07)
Thankyou so much, that's been so much help to me.
No problem, I hope your interview went well! Im in the third year of my Social Work degree so feel free to message me if you have any questions or concerns
Aimhigh07
Rep:
?
No problem, I hope your interview went well! Im in the third year of my Social Work degree so feel free to message me if you have any questions or concerns
Which uni are you currently at? My interview is friday, I'm so nervous.
Thankyou so much for your help, I'll definitely be in touch if i need some advice.
Abbiejadex
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Which uni are you currently at? My interview is friday, I'm so nervous.
Thankyou so much for your help, I'll definitely be in touch if i need some advice.
I study the degree at a local college in Durham which is regulated by Tessside uni but Im currently on day 2 of my 100 day placement before hopefully qualifying in July. It honestly flies by I remember the interview process like it was yesterday, I was really nervous as well I suppose its only natural but Im an especially anxious person when it comes to things like interviews! You'll be fine though they expect that youll be nervous and dont expect you to be an expert
amioneill
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I study the degree at a local college in Durham which is regulated by Tessside uni but Im currently on day 2 of my 100 day placement before hopefully qualifying in July. It honestly flies by I remember the interview process like it was yesterday, I was really nervous as well I suppose its only natural but Im an especially anxious person when it comes to things like interviews! You'll be fine though they expect that youll be nervous and dont expect you to be an expert
Hi Abbie, I've also applied to the college in Durham but haven't heard back as of yet, I do have interviews for other university's though & have been told to research the role of a social worker as well as legislation and current issues surrounding social work. Is there anything in particular you suggest I research to hopefully make a good impression to the interviewer? Thanks!
Barney1993
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi, Did you get a place? I have an interview at Nottm Trent next week with the same question. I feel I have got my head around the question eventually but I am worried about the role play and the individual interview. Any advice would be amazing!Thank you
Abbiejadex
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by amioneill)
Hi Abbie, I've also applied to the college in Durham but haven't heard back as of yet, I do have interviews for other university's though & have been told to research the role of a social worker as well as legislation and current issues surrounding social work. Is there anything in particular you suggest I research to hopefully make a good impression to the interviewer? Thanks!
I would say the main legislation has to be The Children Act 1989 and The Care Act 2014 which was the biggest reform in adult social care in over 60 years and has a major emphasis on wellbeing and carers. Budget cuts is definitely a major issue. They don't really teach you much about it in the classroom but the significance of it on placement is just shocking. Sometimes the services and accommodation that would be in the service users best interest just can't be provided because the money isn't there. The resources are limited despite the significant increase in section 47s (children) and section 42s (adults). The government are also going to publish a green paper on care and support for older people by summer 2018 which will bring more changes to the ever changing profession. There have been huge rises in modern day slavery and self neglect referrals. 20% of children are referred to SS before the age of 5 and it is estimated that child poverty will continue to worsen. 'Operation Sanctuary' was a major issue in Newcastle and really highlighted the sexual exploitation and human trafficking that goes on right on our door steps. Often just reading through the guardian news will give you some current issues but Id also recommend Community Care, BASW, department of health and NSPCC serious case reviews websites and if you're on facebook follow the 'social work tutor'

Sorry I get totally carried away 😂 but good luck! 😀
geo7814
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi guys,

I have an interview for BSc Social Work on the 15th of Feb at Bedfordshire university. As part of the selection process i have to do a role-play and i am really confused on how to prepare for the role-play. I have never done one before and i don't exactly know what i am meant to be doing.

Please help...
Aimhigh07
Rep:
?
(Original post by geo7814)
Hi guys,

I have an interview for BSc Social Work on the 15th of Feb at Bedfordshire university. As part of the selection process i have to do a role-play and i am really confused on how to prepare for the role-play. I have never done one before and i don't exactly know what i am meant to be doing.

Please help...
Hi
I think the main aim of the role plays are to see how you interact/communicate. You're not expected to know everything or have the right answers etc, but aslong as you smile when appropriate, make good eye contact, be interested in the "service user" and show a caring nature then I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck
Abbiejadex
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi guys,

Please help...
I think its quite difficult to prepare for the role play if they havent gave much detail. We done role play in our first year which was talking to a service user for around 10 mins about the issues they were experiencing. I prepared a little bit by having bullet points in my notebook about things I might say or ask eg letting them know about confidentiality/asking if I can make some notes so that I have a record of our conversation and I listed the 9 areas of wellbeing so I could refer to that if I got lost. There is 'social work role play' videos on youtube that might help you. It may seem a little daunting but just try and relax and be yourself
geo7814
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think its quite difficult to prepare for the role play if they havent gave much detail. We done role play in our first year which was talking to a service user for around 10 mins about the issues they were experiencing. I prepared a little bit by having bullet points in my notebook about things I might say or ask eg letting them know about confidentiality/asking if I can make some notes so that I have a record of our conversation and I listed the 9 areas of wellbeing so I could refer to that if I got lost. There is 'social work role play' videos on youtube that might help you. It may seem a little daunting but just try and relax and be yourself
Thank you. The only information that i have been given is that i would be given a short-scenario to respond to and the interviewer would play the client. What am i meant to do in the role play?
geo7814
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi
I think the main aim of the role plays are to see how you interact/communicate. You're not expected to know everything or have the right answers etc, but aslong as you smile when appropriate, make good eye contact, be interested in the "service user" and show a caring nature then I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck

Thank You.
amioneill
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would say the main legislation has to be The Children Act 1989 and The Care Act 2014 which was the biggest reform in adult social care in over 60 years and has a major emphasis on wellbeing and carers. Budget cuts is definitely a major issue. They don't really teach you much about it in the classroom but the significance of it on placement is just shocking. Sometimes the services and accommodation that would be in the service users best interest just can't be provided because the money isn't there. The resources are limited despite the significant increase in section 47s (children) and section 42s (adults). The government are also going to publish a green paper on care and support for older people by summer 2018 which will bring more changes to the ever changing profession. There have been huge rises in modern day slavery and self neglect referrals. 20% of children are referred to SS before the age of 5 and it is estimated that child poverty will continue to worsen. 'Operation Sanctuary' was a major issue in Newcastle and really highlighted the sexual exploitation and human trafficking that goes on right on our door steps. Often just reading through the guardian news will give you some current issues but Id also recommend Community Care, BASW, department of health and NSPCC serious case reviews websites and if you're on facebook follow the 'social work tutor'

Sorry I get totally carried away 😂 but good luck! 😀
Thank you!!
Abbiejadex
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you. The only information that i have been given is that i would be given a short-scenario to respond to and the interviewer would play the client. What am i meant to do in the role play?
Hopefully you will be given the chance to read the scenario before doing the role play so you are able to make some notes but I believe it will just be the case of listening to them and asking questions related to their issue trying to offer some support/solutions. Try having a look at care act assessments 9 areas of wellbeing/10 eligibility outcomes maybe and base some of your questions on them. For children think of areas in the triangle assessment framework. Have a think of what help might be beneficial for different people eg day centre for a disabled adult/befriending service for an elderly person but I suppose it just depends what the scenario is. I think mine was about a woman in a wheelchair that couldnt access some parts of her home (I cant really remember the full situation) but she needed some help. I was asking questions to ensure she wasnt isolated/had family support and was able to maintain her nutrition/personal hygiene/keep the house clean etc - does she need carers? And offered to make a referral to an occupational therapist for them to do a home assessment and ended by asking if she had any questions/anything else she wanted to discuss before telling her Id be intouch soon. Baring in mind we didnt have to do a service user interview until a couple of months into the degree! Good luck! ☺
superwomen
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
hey, I have an interview at NTU to and my topic is on
superwomen
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago

Hey, I have an interview at NTU and my topic for an essay is "consider why an understanding of diversity is important to social work." can you help me with any information that you. thank you so much in advance
bukkyjoy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I have been invited for same interview, understanding diversity is good practice to social work as it help s/w to appreciate and respect the difference in individual and group and to understand the pains and struggle this people are going through.as it can have an impact on their wellbeing ,also understanding diversity in social work allow a s/w to Incapacity Act, Care act, equality Act and HSPC will be worth to mention that underpins violation of conduct like harassment, victimisations and discrimination. Understanding diversity help a s/w to see the social injustice ,inequality and mistreatment that people who have protected characteristic face on a daily basis.Just a thought on that line as I am still gathering my bullet points and hope it help. Mine is 21 of June .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (533)
66.71%
No (266)
33.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed