Pep Guardiola says festive matches are a disaster

Watch
username47781
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Anyone agree with Pep here that there are far too many games over the festive season?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42537120
The PoliticalGuy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
With TV fixtures and Sky and BT deciding when teams play matches casuing massive fixture congestion lack of rest and allowing good times for consumer s to watch the matches the 8 games in 2 weeks is going to become the norm now. The premier league and FA can't contest and argue as they get paid £5bn from BT and Sky.
username47781
Rep:
?
(Original post by ThEpOLiTiCaLgUy)
With TV fixtures and Sky and BT deciding when teams play matches casuing massive fixture congestion lack of rest and allowing good times for consumer s to watch the matches the 8 games in 2 weeks is going to become the norm now. The premier league and FA can't contest and argue as they get paid £5bn from BT and Sky.
Again showing money talks, plus saw this today with West Brom asking for their game to be postponed
https://www.theguardian.com/football...xture-schedule
mojojojo101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yep.

The quality is significantly lower and you are putting at risk the fitness and well being of players, not to mention treating fans with a complete lack of consideration(even those who can't get to games.
username47781
Rep:
?
(Original post by mojojojo101)
Yep.

The quality is significantly lower and you are putting at risk the fitness and well being of players, not to mention treating fans with a complete lack of consideration(even those who can't get to games.
I must admit I was annoyed they switched our match to 7.30pm at Brentford on Boxing day, there is indeed no consideration for the fans at all. They did the same to Sheffield United when they played us at Villa Park moved it to a 5.30pm kick off and cancelled the last train back for them at 8pm, the last train left half an hour before the match finished.
Jimmy Seville
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Pep is bald
scriggy
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't get why they don't just drop one round of fixtures from the Xmas period. The round squeezed in between Xmas and New Year always seems unnecessary to me.

The quality drops, players get injured, it favours the bigger clubs with the bigger squads making it harder for the smaller clubs to complete at the top end, and it kills FA Cup 3rd round weekend.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If we had a winter break, all that would happen is that clubs would disappear to the far east for an exhibition game for ££££s.

Cutting a game or two from the Christmas period would mean a longer normal season - coming back earlier in August, finishing later in May. Neither of which the clubs want.

Stalemate.
rockrunride
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thought the scheduling of fixtures around the 30th and the 1st was too much, because that's two weeks in a row with two sets of fixtures, and the 1st being a Monday. Mondays regularly feature Saturday-based fixtures. But apart from that fair game, it's England.

Maybe an 18-team Prem is the answer :holmes:
scriggy
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by rockrunride)
Maybe an 18-team Prem is the answer :holmes:
I agree with this and think it will happen eventually. Makes the most sense all round.

Loss of gate receipts from the two home games would probably be made up for by the increased share of TV money.
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes it does seem to harm players with injuries etc.

Should find a couple of weeks in January for a winter break.
Aky786UK
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think the impact of the schedule has been more pronounced as the league is finishing slightly earlier for England and their World Cup campaign. Not sure how much it will help but inevitable quality declines but the best games have been Arsenal v Liverpool and the pulsating Arsenal v Chelsea match tonight.

Winter break won't happen as it's an interminable talking point and don't see the schedule being lightened up so it'll be talked about same time next year
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (398)
56.29%
I don't have everything I need (309)
43.71%

Watched Threads