GCSE Maths - Circle Theorems

Watch this thread
username3553182
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm studying 9-1 GCSE Maths at the moment with my mocks when school starts; however, I can't seem to get my head around circle theorems! No matter how much we revise it I can't grasp the topic.
Any advice on circle theorems or websites that explain them well with advanced examples would be appreciated sooooo much
gnuehc128
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
Youtube is a great resource!! When you get your head around some try finding past papers to help identifying and solving but anyother online source might help
Dylan_Dylan123
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I hated circle theorems too, and if you are anything like me you are good at algebra and numbers but not so good at graphs and circle theorems. So yeah, I hated them until I visualised them as the actual theorems. So why it is that opposite angles in a cyclic quadrilateral add up to 180, not just that they do. When you see the maths behind it, it comes easier. There are videos online that explain it. Good luck
They didn't even come up in my GCSE at all aha.
username3553182
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Dylan_Dylan123)
I hated circle theorems too, and if you are anything like me you are good at algebra and numbers but not so good at graphs and circle theorems. So yeah, I hated them until I visualised them as the actual theorems. So why it is that opposite angles in a cyclic quadrilateral add up to 180, not just that they do. When you see the maths behind it, it comes easier. There are videos online that explain it. Good luck
They didn't even come up in my GCSE at all aha.
Oh you lucky thing yeah I'm pretty much like you - I actually quite like graphs but I'm hopeless at circle theorems and shape stuff like that (I can do trig but not shape angle theorem things lol). The cyclic quadrilateral one is the easiest one for me to remember but I can't spot it when there are lots of things going on at once :banghead: I'm looking at that right now coincidentally and it's going okay, although I think when it gets to the big problems I won't be able to spot them ughhh
Let's just hope they don't come in mine... I'd say there's hardly any chance that'll happen lol
thekidwhogames
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I'd say learn their proofs then you truly understand, can spot and use them.
Dylan_Dylan123
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Also, what's good about them is that there questions are all very similar. So just do as many circle theroem questions as you can find, not just with your exam bored either. It's good to get knowledge of all exam boards as it shows you a range of questions on the topics you want to practice.
ajohnston2001
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mundosinfin)
I'm studying 9-1 GCSE Maths at the moment with my mocks when school starts; however, I can't seem to get my head around circle theorems! No matter how much we revise it I can't grasp the topic.
Any advice on circle theorems or websites that explain them well with advanced examples would be appreciated sooooo much
Hi,
Circle theorems, I'm afraid, are just one of those few things in GCSE maths you just got to learn, ie you need to know the theorems, the terminology and applying them. I got a 9 and struggled with them for a while but the more practice questions you do using them they just become second nature. The proofs for them are not too difficult to learn and if you can't just learn them or want to further your understanding the proofs are out there and you'll find a lot of them link together.
Radders01
Badges: 1
Report 4 years ago
There's a great song on Youtube to help you learn them, as a starting point. Just search for 'circle theorems song' and it's set to a McFly song!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (73)
41.71%
The paper was reasonable (80)
45.71%
Not feeling great about that exam... (12)
6.86%
It was TERRIBLE (10)
5.71%

Watched Threads