Turn on thread page Beta

Notes for chemistry: Intermolecular forces, Periodicity, and trends watch

ReputationRep:
    It is made for the first few parts of the spec.

I wrote it up then typed it, so I can discard the written version and save this.

Decided to upload this for other's help.

If there is any mistake, please notify me. Some areas are quite muddled up so people are more than welcome to edit them. If you can also, please upload them after editing them.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Here are the notes. Forgot to put them up. Sorry!
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docx Intermolecular Forces_Periodicity_Trends.docx (16.4 KB, 25 views)

ReputationRep:
    "In water, all three intermolecular forces are present, however London forces are the strongest, so it has the most relevance in terms of intermolecular forces in water."

Ooops.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    "In water, all three intermolecular forces are present, however London forces are the strongest, so it has the most relevance in terms of intermolecular forces in water."

Ooops.
    But hydrogen bonding is the strongest intermolecular attraction so therefore wouldn't this be the strongest in water?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarah_g_24)
    But hydrogen bonding is the strongest intermolecular attraction so therefore wouldn't this be the strongest in water?
    I was quoting from your Word doc.

ReputationRep:

Ooops.
    bloody me. Had it written up correct, but not typed up correct. Sorry about that.

ReputationRep:
    I was quoting from your Word doc.
    Ahhhh I see and it's not mine haha.
    Can I just double check something, do van der Waals forces only include London dispersion forces eg. induced dipole - dipole interactions and then the permanent ones are separate from this? Thx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarah_g_24)
    Ahhhh I see and it's not mine haha.
    Can I just double check something, do van der Waals forces only include London dispersion forces eg. induced dipole - dipole interactions and then the permanent ones are separate from this? Thx
    It depends on your exam board.

Historically, OCR A said VdW was only London and not pd-pd. But now they (correctly) say that VdW is both pd-pd AND id-id. Pro tip: if you do OCR A, avoid the term VdW and use what it says on the spec: induced dipole dipole (or London/dispersion forces) and permanent dipole dipole. And, whilst I'm on, don't abbreviate to idd and pdd unless you've written them out in full first.

AQA also used to call VdW as London only, but I'm not sure on them these days.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on your exam board.

Historically, OCR A said VdW was only London and not pd-pd. But now they (correctly) say that VdW is both pd-pd AND id-id. Pro tip: if you do OCR A, avoid the term VdW and use what it says on the spec: induced dipole dipole (or London/dispersion forces) and permanent dipole dipole. And, whilst I'm on, don't abbreviate to idd and pdd unless you've written them out in full first.

AQA also used to call VdW as London only, but I'm not sure on them these days.
    Okay thankyou!

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.