The Student Room Group

URGENT HELP College/University

Ok so I am a GCSE student that is more worried about college and university than my actual gcses. I know for 100% I want to study law in univeristy as I find it so fascinating. I have hundreds of questions as there is hundreds of routes. Best A levels that go well with law? Should I avoid law at A level all together? Should I go abroad and if so how; which universities offer international students a place or which UK universitys allow students to go abroad for one year? Which law course to do and the differences? Top universities for law in the UK? General experiences of law A level and the degree itself? Different types of degrees in law? Any joint degrees in law? Different types of lawyers and what they do that's different to the other types?
If anyone can awnser any question it would be immensely appreciated thank you in advance 😀
Original post by Usman105
Ok so I am a GCSE student that is more worried about college and university than my actual gcses. I know for 100% I want to study law in univeristy as I find it so fascinating. I have hundreds of questions as there is hundreds of routes. Best A levels that go well with law? Should I avoid law at A level all together? Should I go abroad and if so how; which universities offer international students a place or which UK universitys allow students to go abroad for one year? Which law course to do and the differences? Top universities for law in the UK? General experiences of law A level and the degree itself? Different types of degrees in law? Any joint degrees in law? Different types of lawyers and what they do that's different to the other types?
If anyone can awnser any question it would be immensely appreciated thank you in advance 😀

A-levels wise, English Literature and History are great and well-regarded for a law degree - the essays require critical thinking and teach you how to structure an argument.

For a third, maybe something a bit different, like maths, a science or a language? Whatever you're good at and can get the best grade in.

Law A-level is less well-regarded and I would advise against it.

There aren't really any specific A Levels you must take to do Law but most universities would like the candidate to have chosen three academic subjects. English Literature and History is highly regarded in this field of work and many Law students had done A Levels in these subjects. A Level Law really does not prepare you for Law at university, I've heard that some universities have to make student forget everything they learned during A Level Law, and is commonly not recommended. Some universities actually look down upon A Level Law, like London School of Economics. I'd say for Law you could study EPR (Ethics, Philosophy and Religion), Economics (to be fair you could even do Business Studies), Psychology, Sociology and a language. That is what I believe are the best A Levels for Law alongside English Literature and/or History. As I said there are no specific A Levels you must take for Law so you could even choose a different subject. I'd say as long as it's academic (e.g. Maths, Chemistry), some universities may not accept you for Law of you have done A Levels in like Physical Education or Art for example. Now from what I know there is also a slight vocational route into Law, such as going into higher apprenticeships and I guess the most relevant vocational qualification would be a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Business. In terms of degrees you can do an LLB degree which gives you skills and knowledge required for law or you could do a BA/BSc degree which is more academic. I believe you can also get Higher National Diplomas and Higher National Certificates in the subject. Also many people do joint honours (or whatever it's called) including Law because it is a subject that links to many different subjects: for example, Law with Business Management, Law with Criminology and Law with Policing.
(edited 6 years ago)
LSE actually lists Law A level as recommended now.

University attitudes to Law A level are not what they were 10-20 years ago. It’s not blacklisted anymore and is recommended.

As with any A level, university study involves an element of starting again from scratch (as chemistry degree students how much chem A level gets thrown out!) but that’s about your attitude to learning not about the content of the A level.
Reply 4
what do you mean by LLB is more skill and knowledge yet BA/BSc are more academic?

You need to focus on your GCSEs. If you don’t get the best grades possible in them then you’ll make it much more difficult to get where you want.

Once your exams are over book yourself into some university open days and spend your summer researching different pathways into law and the content of different A levels.

Knowing the detailed content of an LLB won’t matter for anything if you tank your GCSEs.
English Lit, History and Law

Quick Reply

Latest