coldwind
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Does anybody else get this?
It's when you kind of 'wake up' in a dream and realise that you are dreaming. You can control things as well sometimes.

I always wonder though, whether I am actually having a lucid dream, or I'm dreaming that I'm having a lucid dream haha
trm90
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Apparently you can 'prepare' yourself to have a lucid dream. My friend did that for a couple of nights, and made a journal, but he said it really messed up his sleeping routine.

But yeah I had one the other night. It was so ridiculously real that when I woke up I pretty much categorised it as a 'nightmare' :p:.
Kashya
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I get them frequently. But I always feel..trapped, I panic and wake myself up.
coldwind
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by trm90)
But yeah I had one the other night. It was so ridiculously real that when I woke up I pretty much categorised it as a 'nightmare' :p:.
Oh no! Having a nightmare usually triggers me into lucidity and I usually have the choice of actually waking up or continuing with the dream
cpj1987
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I do, kinda. I started getting very vivid dreams nightly about a year and a half ago, around the same time I started uni. Since then, I've learnt how to control HOW vivid my dreams are each night, and occasionally small amounts of the content, and my actions.
I can't always control WHAT I dream about, just how I act IN that dream.
eggd2
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I used to have them when i was 7ish it was either Me being chased by a giant on roller things, and many times in the dream i controlled stuff, and the same with the other one where i was on a bike being chased by elephants.

Long time ago, oh well
YouAreWhatYouEat
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by trm90)
Apparently you can 'prepare' yourself to have a lucid dream. My friend did that for a couple of nights, and made a journal, but he said it really messed up his sleeping routine.

--
how??

ever since i watched a film with paltrow, penelope cruz and martin freeman, i have always been interested by the concept of lucid dreaming
Freud
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've never, I'm curious to know what its like.
trm90
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
EDIT: @akademic Completely forgotten, I'm afraid I think it has something to do with lying in bed for a REALLY long time though. I'm going to ask my friend again, would love to give it a go on a friday night or something :p:.
Michelle0509
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i've never been able to control what i do in my dreams, although i have heard of other people that can. i have had really real dreams before where i think im awake but cant actually wake myself up (noramally in nightmares)
Kashya
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You just basically realise "Heeeeey, wait a minute, that cant be real! This is a dream!".

Then in my case:

"Oh crap! Oh crap! Wake up!"
trm90
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
By the way, for anyone who happens to have a lucid dream sometime soon: the best way to confirm whether or not you're in a dream or reality is to poke the middle of your palm with your finger.

:p:
Aiko
  • CV Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by trm90)
By the way, for anyone who happens to have a lucid dream sometime soon: the best way to confirm whether or not you're in a dream or reality is to poke the middle of your palm with your finger.

:p:
Oh my god, all of this was a dream! I just tried it!...

I know I'm lame. :p:
trm90
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Matisse)
Oh my god, all of this was a dream! I just tried it!...

I know I'm lame. :p:
:eek:

Haha

My palm hurts now :p:
Tagit
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I have had a few, they are great when you do have them. You can bring them on, when if you kind of semi wake up, imagine the continuation of your dream and normally as you are still sleepy you go back to dreaming i've found but now you know its a dream.
munkie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'd been trying to have one of these for ages... then last week I did!

In my dream I opened the fridge, but from the wrong side. Something inside me said "wait, that's not right it opens from the other side! YAY A LUCID DREAM!!!" I couldn't decide what to do, so I went for a bit of a fly, but then I woke myself up by falling over.
Teao the Cat
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I used to dream that I had gotton up, gotten dressed, had breakfast, etc when my alarm went off... then i'd wake up and realise I had five minutes to do all those things... grr!
smirf83
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Teao the Cat)
I used to dream that I had gotton up, gotten dressed, had breakfast, etc when my alarm went off... then i'd wake up and realise I had five minutes to do all those things... grr!
I do exactly the same thing! *Really* annoying, i'll sort of wake up drowsily around the right sort of time and think to myself i can get away with 10 mins extra just lying in bed, then drift off withot realising and dream that i'm brushing my teeth and having a shower etc, then i'll suddenly wake up and be immensely annoyed cos i'm half an hr behind schedule

And yet i still refuse to go to bed nice and early
Ang|ophi|e
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Teao the Cat)
Same here. Such a disappointment it was when I woke up.

Lucid dreaming is awesome. I often prevent nightmares from happening.
Thud
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
What other kind is there?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (130)
18.21%
It's just nice to be back! (194)
27.17%
Not great so far... (256)
35.85%
I want to drop out! (134)
18.77%

Watched Threads