Turn on thread page Beta

I'm wondering how to interpret a message I got watch

Alright, there's a guy I've been talking to from my college. He is gay and has been giving me pretty good signals (and he knows I like him a lot), and we were talking via messages last night. In the end I told him (semi-jokingly) he was "probably a bit out of my league". Now I should say, he is honestly massively out of my league - he's crazy hot and I'm ugly at best (though I am a little taller than he is). But he responded with "I'm really not", and I don't know what to do...

I'm wondering he finds me really attractive or whether he just doubts his own looks. He could have been joking too though I doubt it. Either way I need to be quick as this is my last year here and I've applied mostly to universities on the other side of the country. I only properly started to meet him early this year.

I don't know if this is just part for the course or whether I should read into this as well. Oh dear.

ReputationRep:
    One really powerful tool people often forget - asking.
    Talking from personal experience, I’ve torn myself apart wondering what a certain person may have meant by something they said. Asking someone what they mean just makes things so much easier! It sounds as though this person is into you, but if you have any questions pursue it like anything else and jump in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Alright, there's a guy I've been talking to from my college. He is gay and has been giving me pretty good signals (and he knows I like him a lot), and we were talking via messages last night. In the end I told him (semi-jokingly) he was "probably a bit out of my league". Now I should say, he is honestly massively out of my league - he's crazy hot and I'm ugly at best (though I am a little taller than he is). But he responded with "I'm really not", and I don't know what to do...
    Let's be clear about one thing... is he gay or bisexual / bi-curious?

If he's actually gay, then I'm afraid it's a lost cause.(I'm assuming you're a girl, apologies if I'm wrong).. If he's gay and you're a girl, then I'm afraid it's a lost cause. If he's bisexual, then it's a possiblity. My knowledge of bi-guys is limited, but I do know a few bi-girls... and it transpires that their tastes for women may be completely different to what they go for in guys.

He may have jokingly said he's not, but IMHO, almost anything said as a "joke" holds some degree of truth (with the obvious exception of "Your mama" type comments)... but bear in mind what I said above regarding sexuality.

I'm wondering he finds me really attractive or whether he just doubts his own looks. He could have been joking too though I doubt it. Either way I need to be quick as this is my last year here and I've applied mostly to universities on the other side of the country. I only properly started to meet him early this year.

I don't know if this is just part for the course or whether I should read into this as well. Oh dear.
    Ever heard of the saying , "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" (or should that be "Beer-holder" lol)

You will always have a subjective view of how you look. .. you will be fully aware of all your physical imperfections and have probably blown them all up (disporportinally) in your head...combined with the guilt of not having done any form of exercise for over a year. The world willhave an objective view of how you look... and to all these people will have an "objective" view of how you look... and not to mention some people have quirky tastes in guys / girls.

On the other hand, maybe you're right and he doesn't know how "hot" he is. It may be different for gay guys, but straight guys don't really go qround telling each other how pretty / handsome they are... and maybe as i said above, it might be the case that he is more than aware of his own imperfections and thinks he's ugly as a result of it. Assuming you're on the "right" side of his sexual orientation, take adantage of it and make your move.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

(Original post by Old Skool Freak)
    Let's be clear about one thing... is he gay or bisexual / bi-curious?

If he's actually gay, then I'm afraid it's a lost cause.(I'm assuming you're a girl, apologies if I'm wrong).. If he's gay and you're a girl, then I'm afraid it's a lost cause. If he's bisexual, then it's a possiblity. My knowledge of bi-guys is limited, but I do know a few bi-girls... and it transpires that their tastes for women may be completely different to what they go for in guys.

He may have jokingly said he's not, but IMHO, almost anything said as a "joke" holds some degree of truth (with the obvious exception of "Your mama" type comments)... but bear in mind what I said above regarding sexuality.

Ever heard of the saying , "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" (or should that be "Beer-holder" lol)

You will always have a subjective view of how you look. .. you will be fully aware of all your physical imperfections and have probably blown them all up (disporportinally) in your head...combined with the guilt of not having done any form of exercise for over a year. The world willhave an objective view of how you look... and to all these people will have an "objective" view of how you look... and not to mention some people have quirky tastes in guys / girls.

On the other hand, maybe you're right and he doesn't know how "hot" he is. It may be different for gay guys, but straight guys don't really go qround telling each other how pretty / handsome they are... and maybe as i said above, it might be the case that he is more than aware of his own imperfections and thinks he's ugly as a result of it. Assuming you're on the "right" side of his sexual orientation, take adantage of it and make your move.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
    Maybe I should have been more explicit in the OP but I'm also a guy, sorry for the confusion!
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    In the end I told him (semi-jokingly) he was "probably a bit out of my league".

The message means "Error 404 code 0x0000423"

ReputationRep:
    A

You are quite the idiot aren't you.

He likes you, he flirts with you. You like him. You have each others numbers. You talk about him doubting his looks but clearly you doubt yourself.

No one abides by this 'League' rubbish you introduced.

Seal the deal already. Get a room and stop wasting everybodies time.

ReputationRep:
    wanna know truly? get hm good and wasted and then crack out the meth and condoms

ReputationRep:
    Hot guys will hook up with girls who are average or even below looking... I've seen it many times.

ReputationRep:
    First things first: is he single?
    If so, have you told him you're gay?
    If the answer to both these qs is yes then: you clearly get along well, you're both single, both gay, you clearly like him and there's one way to find out if he likes you: ask him out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexJWise)
    One really powerful tool people often forget - asking.
    Talking from personal experience, I’ve torn myself apart wondering what a certain person may have meant by something they said. Asking someone what they mean just makes things so much easier! It sounds as though this person is into you, but if you have any questions pursue it like anything else and jump in!

DITTO!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I should have been more explicit in the OP but I'm also a guy, sorry for the confusion!
    Well the rest of what I said still applies.

Go get your man before someone else does

ReputationRep:
    Suck his ****... really well

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 4, 2018
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.