The Student Room Group

Wellcome Trust PhD Neuroscience

Hi everybody! Any tips on preparing for an interview in neuroscience? I have a background in psychology, what should I expect? Technical questions? Do you have any lectures/books helpful to suggest for the interview? Thank you!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ilyxx
Hi everybody! Any tips on preparing for an interview in neuroscience? I have a background in psychology, what should I expect? Technical questions? Do you have any lectures/books helpful to suggest for the interview? Thank you!!

There will definitely be technical questions but they will know that you have a psychology background and will ask appropriate ones. Don't be afraid to say you don't know or have more of a psychological perspective on things when asked something more neurosciency. Be prepared to talk about why you, why this PhD, why this program and dept and ask some of your own questions.
Reply 2
I had a Wellcome Trust PhD interview last year at Cardiff with a Psychology background (though a masters in Neuroscience). I would say 99% of my interview was based on my previous research project and the only technical questions I got asked were in reference to this. I got asked 1 personal question which was why do a PhD when you have a job- absolutely nothing about why they should take me/why Cardiff etc they are much more interested in how you do research and that you understand it- what you did, why, how you could interpret it, what you could do to further the research. I would say really learn inside out a research project and you will be able to answer most of their questions (if not all!) I was offered a place so must have done something right, good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by Ilyxx

Hello :smile: I have applied too but haven't heard back yet. How long roughly after you submitted your application until you heard back?

Thank you x
Reply 4
Hi!

I’ve applied for the Integrative Neuroscience Programme at Cardiff and Sussex... anyone heard anything yet?! 😩😬
Reply 5
I've not heard from either yet x
Reply 6
Original post by BrainFun
I've not heard from either yet x

Ah okay! Hopefully it’ll be sometime soon! Best of luck x
Reply 7
Think I saw on the website for Sussex that people are being shortlisted this week so hopefully soon! Good luck!! X
Reply 8
Think I saw on the website for Sussex that people are being shortlisted this week so hopefully soon! Good luck!! X
ahhh okay! Thanks for letting me know!☺️
Reply 9
any news? x
any news? x

Nope 😩 how about you?
any news? x

No 😩 have you?
Original post by RuthN-95
Nope 😩 how about you?

Nothing 😣 starting to feel like it's a no. Wondering whether to email on Monday and ask x
Nothing 😣 starting to feel like it's a no. Wondering whether to email on Monday and ask x

Yeah me too 😞😞 I wish they’d change the application status on the Sussex PGapply... but yeah that naught be a good idea!
Yeah me too 😞😞 I wish they’d change the application status on the Sussex PGapply... but yeah that naught be a good idea!

Mine has been saying with the admissions tutor for ages. Just want to know 😂
Mine has been saying with the admissions tutor for ages. Just want to know 😂

Yeah same haha! I’ve been trying to look on twitter or anywhere to see if anyone’s posted but can’t find anything!
Yeah same haha! I’ve been trying to look on twitter or anywhere to see if anyone’s posted but can’t find anything!

I have been doing the exact same thing! I am just obsessively checking hahaha. Are you currently doing a masters?
I have been doing the exact same thing! I am just obsessively checking hahaha. Are you currently doing a masters?

Same haha :frown: no I’m currently in my final year studying psychology at Cardiff but I did a placement year in between my second and third year so technically this is my fourth :smile: how about you?
Same haha :frown: no I’m currently in my final year studying psychology at Cardiff but I did a placement year in between my second and third year so technically this is my fourth :smile: how about you?

I'm currently doing an MRes in developmental biology at Portsmouth. If I hear back on Monday I will let you know! Really hope we both get in (or at least an interview haha) :smile:
I'm currently doing an MRes in developmental biology at Portsmouth. If I hear back on Monday I will let you know! Really hope we both get in (or at least an interview haha) :smile:

Ah cool that sounds really interesting! Aw thank you! I hope you get in! We will just have to wait and see I guess :smile: x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending