The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Interview for English Literature and Creative Writing

I've managed to get an interview at Lancaster Uni for English and creative writing but it's in a few weeks and I'm getting really nervous now!

I wondered if anyone had any tips for me or maybe has done the interview previously and could tell me what kind of questions to expect. I also have to send of some of my own writing but I'm scared in case they don't like it!!

Any help would be much appreciated - thank you all so much xx
Reply 1
Sorry I don’t have anything to help you with but I’m applying for English Lang & CW and I am TERRIFIED!!!
I’ve not been asked to send any writing, is it just a Lit thing? Also, what day are you going?
Anyway, from what they’ve said it’s probably not much to worry about, they’re not testing our skills at the very least, and the worst that could happen is we don’t get the unconditional so let’s try not to worry so much!! x
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by seawaif
Sorry I don’t have anything to help you with but I’m applying for English Lang & CW and I am TERRIFIED!!!
I’ve not been asked to send any writing, is it just a Lit thing? Also, what day are you going?
Anyway, from what they’ve said it’s probably not much to worry about, they’re not testing our skills at the very least, and the worst that could happen is we don’t get the unconditional so let’s try not to worry so much!! x

That's odd, they said it was part of my CW interview that I'd have to talk about my own work which I need to email them prior to the interview. So glad I'm not the only one freaking out about this 😂 17th of January!! Wbu? X
Reply 3
Original post by Lucifer195
That's odd, they said it was part of my CW interview that I'd have to talk about my own work which I need to email them prior to the interview. So glad I'm not the only one freaking out about this 😂 17th of January!! Wbu? X

Mine’s on the 27th, I’ve checked over my letter but it says I don’t have to prepare anything for my interview?! I know you’re doing Lit but still... maybe they’re applicant-specific? Oh god, I might just email them, I’m stressing out now that I’ll turn up with nothing and they’ll be like “where’s your writing?!” 😂😂x
Reply 4
Original post by seawaif
Mine’s on the 27th, I’ve checked over my letter but it says I don’t have to prepare anything for my interview?! I know you’re doing Lit but still... maybe they’re applicant-specific? Oh god, I might just email them, I’m stressing out now that I’ll turn up with nothing and they’ll be like “where’s your writing?!” 😂😂x

I got a letter first and then an email so maybe yours just hasn't arrived yet? Now I'm stressing because they've asked me and what if I'm the only one?! 😂 Got to stop thinking like this haha. Best of luck with yours and if you like I can pass on any advice/my own experience once I'm done x
Reply 5
I got a letter first and then an email so maybe yours just hasn't arrived yet? Now I'm stressing because they've asked me and what if I'm the only one?! 😂 Got to stop thinking like this haha. Best of luck with yours and if you like I can pass on any advice/my own experience once I'm done x

Ooh yeah could be, I’ll give it a week or so and see if they send me anything else! And yes omg that would be amazing if you could give me some advice after! Thank you so much, best of luck!! x
Reply 6
Original post by seawaif
Ooh yeah could be, I’ll give it a week or so and see if they send me anything else! And yes omg that would be amazing if you could give me some advice after! Thank you so much, best of luck!! x

Hi!
Basically there is literally nothing to worry about, everyone is super nice and it's more of a conversation than an interview. With the English, make sure you know your personal statement really well and if you mentioned a specific author make sure you know a bit about them/when they were writing. For creative writing, it was more like how you approached your writing and what feedback you'd want from a workshop.

The day was actually really good and my advice would be to go by yourself rather than with a parent because I talked to way more people without my mum there and others will be in the same situation.

There is really nothing to worry about, but don't be afraid to start convos with people 😂 all the best for your interview and I hope this helped xx
Reply 7
Hi!
Basically there is literally nothing to worry about, everyone is super nice and it's more of a conversation than an interview. With the English, make sure you know your personal statement really well and if you mentioned a specific author make sure you know a bit about them/when they were writing. For creative writing, it was more like how you approached your writing and what feedback you'd want from a workshop.

The day was actually really good and my advice would be to go by yourself rather than with a parent because I talked to way more people without my mum there and others will be in the same situation.

There is really nothing to worry about, but don't be afraid to start convos with people 😂 all the best for your interview and I hope this helped xx

Oh my goodness thank you so much for this!! This has really made me feel better about the whole thing and I will definitely make sure I know more about the authors in my person statement... So glad it went well for you and I am looking forward to it now!! Thanks again xx
Reply 8
Original post by seawaif

im also applying for lang and creative writing and have received an interview for an unconditional, mines the same day and I'm freaking out I want it so badly but don't know how the interview will go
!
Reply 9
Original post by emhartle
im also applying for lang and creative writing and have received an interview for an unconditional, mines the same day and I'm freaking out I want it so badly but don't know how the interview will go
!

I really don’t think we need to freak out! Honestly, it looks like it will be an informal chat more than anything and we’re not being ‘tested’ on anything, and like I said worst comes to worst we don’t get the unconditional! As long as your personal statement is true it should be fine, and I’m sure it’s ok to just say “I’m not sure about that” :-) (but obviously I know it’s still scary!!)

What time is your interview? Mines at 10:40 with Johann Unger. Trust me you will NOT be the only nervous person there... if you see someone freaking out it’ll probably end up being me!! x
haha yeah I suppose so, mine is at 9:50 with Alison Saealey! I will look out for you :smile: x
Original post by seawaif
I really don’t think we need to freak out! Honestly, it looks like it will be an informal chat more than anything and we’re not being ‘tested’ on anything, and like I said worst comes to worst we don’t get the unconditional! As long as your personal statement is true it should be fine, and I’m sure it’s ok to just say “I’m not sure about that” :-) (but obviously I know it’s still scary!!)

What time is your interview? Mines at 10:40 with Johann Unger. Trust me you will NOT be the only nervous person there... if you see someone freaking out it’ll probably end up being me!! x

Quick Reply

Latest