The Student Room Group

Funding after interrupting studies - complicated

--
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by razzadazza777
Hello,

I am in, what feels like, a very complicated situation. I have just interrupted my studies of second year from university due to personal reasons which i will touch on in a bit. I will restart my second year in September. So here is my concern:

Firstly, my living situation is soon to drastically change. I live at home with my low income family currently but due to emotional abuse and depression etc etc i am essentially running away from home (i know its strange, im 20 and running away from home). My family are bound to disown me, therefore in the coming year i wont have access to their financial information and i wont have any financial link and support from them.

Secondly, i am leaving home in 3 months time. My family do not know that i have withdrawn from my studies as they would not accept that i did and basically my life would become hell. So i wont be receiving any student finance maintenance loan for this term and for the next year. HERE is the issue: Can student finance still help me? Since i have only interrupted my studies, is there any way for me to receive financial support from SFE? I have heard about discretionary funding. I'm assuming i will have to pay back the maintenance loan i received the first term of second year. I'm not in a financial situation to do that, so im panicking.

Please help me out

Thanks,
Ray

Hi Ray,

Student Finance can only offer financial support for the time that your are in attendance on your course. Discretionary payments are only available to student who are still in attendance on their course and and are in financial hardship and are reviewed on a case by case basis and only in certain circumstances.

I would like to advise that The Student Room is a public form and would suggest that you should not disclose any personal information. We would suggest that you contact your University to discuss any financial support available and possibly make them aware of your personal circumstances .There maybe some charities that could offer support with regards to you family and personal circumstances .

Thanks

Louise

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending