The Student Room Group

Hospitals told to cancel all routine operations

Struggling hospitals have been told to cancel all routine surgery until the end of January amid fears of a winter NHS meltdown. While no cancer operations or time-critical procedures will be cancelled, operations like hip replacements and shoulder surgery will be. This could lead up to 55,000 deferred operations.

You can read more on the story here.

What do you make of this? Are you shocked by this? Do you work in the NHS? Has your op or someone you know had their op cancelled?
Reply 1
It's happening here in Northern Ireland too, and I am certainly not shocked by it. The NHS is in a bloody mess.
What do people expect from a system designed for an age where life expectancy wasn't even 70 and for those lucky enough to live longer than that and get late life illnesses there were not the great many expensive treatments there are now? What do people expect when the NHS was created in an age where people were able to look after themselves and didn't waste GPs and A&Es time with minor ailments they can deal with themselves; we often hear about winter flu crippling the NHS, but last time I checked flu is rarely something that requires a visit to hospital, last I checked it's something that you sit at home and wait to pass? What to people expect from a system so great that pretty much nobody else has thought it good enough to copy in its near 70 years?
In a few years time, the NHS will get £350 million a week to help fund it right? Right guys...?

Quick Reply

Latest