Phobia of getting ill.. can I have some perspective?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I have had a phobia of becoming ill for a long time now. I won't eat food cooked by other people, I won't go near people who aren't well (which is a problem when family and friends aren't well) and I won't put my hands in my mouth without washing them (so won't eat anything with my hands without washing them properly first).

It's really inconvenient, and I'm just always thinking that if I eat something someone has touched, or with my hands without washing them, I will swallow germs and get ill.

I know it's stupid really, as people would be ill all the time if it's that easy to catch things.. but even typing that doesn't help me.

Can anyone help put my mind at rest a little, or offer personal experience or advice about it?

Thank you .
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
this kind of obsessional behaviour is usually treatable by methods such as hypnosis. you can get it on the NHs, or go private ( look in the phone book ) or go down the self-hypnosis route.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by the bear)
this kind of obsessional behaviour is usually treatable by methods such as hypnosis. you can get it on the NHs, or go private ( look in the phone book ) or go down the self-hypnosis route.
Thanks, but I'm super dubious of hypnosis.. and I think it will only work if you believe it will..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
5.71%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
20%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (4)
11.43%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (3)
8.57%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (11)
31.43%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (8)
22.86%

Watched Threads