The Student Room Group

British Student, would I still need to take IELTS?

Hello there, not sure if this is the right forum.
Sorry if it isn't

I've seen a post similar to this but my situation is a little bit different.
I am a British national and have been living abroad ( in non-english speaking countries ) for pretty much all my life. I have moved a lot throughout the years but will enroll at British international schools, (utilising the Cambridge curriculum.) Therefore all my classes (save for the language ones like French, Spanish, Arabic etc,) were conducted in English; many of whom were native speakers. However at IGCSE, I was forced to take on English as a second language as my school did not provide the English as a First course - nonetheless I scored an A* in those exams. For clarification purposes, I have minimal say in what school I could go in - so I couldn't just simply move schools to the EFL.

English is technically my native language and my second language is no match at all in fluency.

Would I still be required to take the IELTS test, or is the matter dependent on the choice and say of different universities in the UK?

Thanks! :biggrin:

PS: My AS level courses are Maths, Physics, Biology and Chemistry if that helps.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by thelegend66
Sorry if it isn't

I am a British national and have been living abroad ( in non-english speaking countries ) for pretty much all my life. I have moved a lot throughout the years but will enroll at British international schools, (utilising the Cambridge curriculum.) Therefore all my classes (save for the language ones like French, Spanish, Arabic etc,) were conducted in English; many of whom were native speakers. However at IGCSE, I was forced to take on English as a second language as my school did not provide the English as a First course - nonetheless I scored an A* in those exams. For clarification purposes, I have minimal say in what school I could go in - so I couldn't just simply move schools to the EFL.

English is technically my native language and my second language is no match at all in fluency.

Would I still be required to take the IELTS test, or is the matter dependent on the choice and say of different universities in the UK?

PS: My AS level courses are Maths, Physics, Biology and Chemistry if that helps.

I dont think so but you should check the entrance/ language requirements for the unis you intend to apply for.

This gives you an idea and you will see why there are so many English qualifications.

Note English as a second language is included.

What qualifications are accepted will depend on the uni, but at least this is hopeful.

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/policies/englang
Sorry if it isn't

If you are doing A-Levels you should be fine, worst case they will include a IELTS minimum score in your offer.

Hiya,

As others have said requirements differ from university to university, but here at Bradford we would consider iGCSE English as a second language (grade C or above) as acceptable for degree level entry (equivalent to GCSE or IELTS 6.0).

Hope that helps :smile:

Shelley

Quick Reply

Latest