silversocks012
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Yo! I'm studying offender profiling atm and not entirely happy with the definition of investigative psychology in the textbook - how does it work??
Thanks
chazwomaq
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Offender profiling is often pseudoscience I'm afraid. See chapter in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/50_Gre...lar_Psychology for examples of why.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
there was quite a vogue for this a few years ago. Dr Paul Britton was always popping up on the telly & he wrote several bestsellers about his work. Then it all went horribly wrong with the tragic cases linked to Rachel Nickell.
silversocks012
Rep:
?
(Original post by chazwomaq)
Offender profiling is often pseudoscience I'm afraid. See chapter in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/50_Gre...lar_Psychology for examples of why.
Ah yeah I am aware of some the limitations with the methodology, was in search of a better definition of the investigative psychology part of the bottom-up approach
silversocks012
Rep:
?
(Original post by the bear)
there was quite a vogue for this a few years ago. Dr Paul Britton was always popping up on the telly & he wrote several bestsellers about his work. Then it all went horribly wrong with the tragic cases linked to Rachel Nickell.
They've had some pretty mixed success certainly - arguably the cases where it was implemented successfully such as John Duffy, was mainly common sense. Apparently a study in 2002 found that chemistry students produced a more accurate profile on a solved murder case than experienced senior detectives! Do you know much about investigative psychology specifically?
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Spider&TheFly)
They've had some pretty mixed success certainly - arguably the cases where it was implemented successfully such as John Duffy, was mainly common sense. Apparently a study in 2002 found that chemistry students produced a more accurate profile on a solved murder case than experienced senior detectives! Do you know much about investigative psychology specifically?
nothing whatsoever :teehee:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (10)
14.93%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (12)
17.91%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (30)
44.78%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (12)
17.91%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (3)
4.48%

Watched Threads