The Student Room Group

Geography A-Level AQA 20 mark essay question

Hello, I have recently started my geography a level, and I was wondering what the structure is for a 20 marker to gain the optimum amount of marks? I am on the new AQA specification. Thank you!
Original post by allouiseh
Hello, I have recently started my geography a level, and I was wondering what the structure is for a 20 marker to gain the optimum amount of marks? I am on the new AQA specification. Thank you!

http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/geography/as-and-a-level/geography-7037/assessment-resources
For human Geog. Introduction - Start with an interesting and relevant quote to set the tone. Define any key terms and show you understand what the question is asking you to do. Briefly outline the ideas you will include in the essay.

Para 1: First idea. If an "analyse" question then make your point, give an example as evidence and explain what that means. Think about what causes it and what might happen as a result of it. If an "evaluate" or " discuss" or "to what extent" question then state what it is, give an example, whether it's good/bad, how it could be improved.

Para 2. Repeat para 1 with second idea

Para 3 Repeat with third idea.

Para 4 Give an current example to prove your point - something from the news and from your wider reading.

Conclusion. Summarise your argument and ensure you clearly answer the question. Be sure not to repeat the exact statements you made in the body of the essay. End the essay with a quotation, anecdote or a clear statement that expresses your view and fully answers the question.
(edited 6 years ago)
hi im new to the spec too! sitting my exams in 2 months and still finding the 20 mark questions difficult, would it be possible to send me one or two of those essay plans? thank you!
sorry for the late reply- how did it go?
My exam is in 16 days :frown:
this answer was really helpful!!! lest keep up the goodness of geography!!!
Original post by Miss J 2018
For human Geog. Introduction - Start with an interesting and relevant quote to set the tone. Define any key terms and show you understand what the question is asking you to do. Briefly outline the ideas you will include in the essay.

Para 1: First idea. If an "analyse" question then make your point, give an example as evidence and explain what that means. Think about what causes it and what might happen as a result of it. If an "evaluate" or " discuss" or "to what extent" question then state what it is, give an example, whether it's good/bad, how it could be improved.

Para 2. Repeat para 1 with second idea

Para 3 Repeat with third idea.

Para 4 Give an current example to prove your point - something from the news and from your wider reading.

Conclusion. Summarise your argument and ensure you clearly answer the question. Be sure not to repeat the exact statements you made in the body of the essay. End the essay with a quotation, anecdote or a clear statement that expresses your view and fully answers the question.

omg i don't know if you'll see this but thank you so much because i used your structure and i got 15/20 in my question and if anyone see's this i really recommend the structure because i am that type of person that never gets the best grades... kind regards
Reply 8
is this similar for physical geography as well? im looking at impacts of human activity on the carbon stores in rainforests
Original post by Rolls_Reus_0wner
My exam is in 16 days :frown:

how did it go bro

Quick Reply

Latest