The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

international relations

I received my offer from reading to study international relations however, I didn't go to the open day so I was wondering could a current student tell me a bit more about the campus, atmosphere, accommodation and student life. Also anyone who studies international relations tell me about their experiences
Thanks
Original post by King_ajk
I received my offer from reading to study international relations however, I didn't go to the open day so I was wondering could a current student tell me a bit more about the campus, atmosphere, accommodation and student life. Also anyone who studies international relations tell me about their experiences
Thanks

Do they have any more open days, even if its not for the specific course? If not can you arrange your own where you visit informally and get to chat to a course rep or a lecturer? Sometimes they are willing to arrange such things. Visiting is very handy.
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Thanks

Hello!

Congratulations on your offer, that is fab news! Well done!! :smile:

That's absolutely no problem that you didn't go to the open day, I will try my best to help you out. You should also be invited to a Visit day organised by the department (in February/March time) where you will learn more about the subject, meet current students and also be able to visit the campus and accommodation. You could also book yourself onto a self guided campus tour too - take a look here for more information: https://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-study/visiting-and-open-days.aspx

I really like Reading, particularly because it is a campus university, as it feels like such a community. We have around 18,000 students from all different countries/backgrounds although it doesn't actually feel that busy! You have everything you need on the campus, for example a 24hour library, a co-op, hairdressers, bookshop, most University accommodation and lecture buildings. However, on the weekend/evenings you may wish to go into Reading town centre which is around a 15 minute bus journey away or a 40 minute walk. We have a 24/7 bus which takes you to the train station, and goes every hour through the night straight back to the campus.

The University accommodation is situated mainly on campus, however those that are off campus are around 5-10 minutes off campus. But, really it still feels like you are on campus as you are living with such a large group of students. The University accommodation is for all budgets, with self-catered shared bathroom rooms that are much cheaper or luxury rooms with double beds and en-suites. There is also the option to share with between 6-12 people, have quieter accommodation or single gender depending on your preferences. I lived in Bridges Hall in first year, which I really liked!

We have a great Students Union, that turns into the largest nightclub in Reading for student nights Wednesday and Saturdays. This is a really inexpensive night, and nice and safe as you don't have to venture into town. They also karaoke, quiz and comedy nights through the week with a local farmers market taking over one room on a Thursday! The students union have various events throughout the year, with guest DJs and a big summer ball type festival event at the end of the year. They also run all of the clubs and societies, anything from ballroom and latin to DIY! Take a look at the list here: https://www.rusu.co.uk/activities/giag/#SearchClubs

I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here at Reading, everything from the vast array of activities and also the great support the university gives you. We have a building on campus that relates to employment opportunities, internships and networking which is really useful and was a great help to me when I applied to placement!

Hope this helps you, and if you have anymore questions then just let us know!

Alice :h:
Food Science Placement Student
Reply 3
Original post by UniofReading
Hello!

Congratulations on your offer, that is fab news! Well done!! :smile:

That's absolutely no problem that you didn't go to the open day, I will try my best to help you out. You should also be invited to a Visit day organised by the department (in February/March time) where you will learn more about the subject, meet current students and also be able to visit the campus and accommodation. You could also book yourself onto a self guided campus tour too - take a look here for more information: https://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-study/visiting-and-open-days.aspx

I really like Reading, particularly because it is a campus university, as it feels like such a community. We have around 18,000 students from all different countries/backgrounds although it doesn't actually feel that busy! You have everything you need on the campus, for example a 24hour library, a co-op, hairdressers, bookshop, most University accommodation and lecture buildings. However, on the weekend/evenings you may wish to go into Reading town centre which is around a 15 minute bus journey away or a 40 minute walk. We have a 24/7 bus which takes you to the train station, and goes every hour through the night straight back to the campus.

The University accommodation is situated mainly on campus, however those that are off campus are around 5-10 minutes off campus. But, really it still feels like you are on campus as you are living with such a large group of students. The University accommodation is for all budgets, with self-catered shared bathroom rooms that are much cheaper or luxury rooms with double beds and en-suites. There is also the option to share with between 6-12 people, have quieter accommodation or single gender depending on your preferences. I lived in Bridges Hall in first year, which I really liked!

We have a great Students Union, that turns into the largest nightclub in Reading for student nights Wednesday and Saturdays. This is a really inexpensive night, and nice and safe as you don't have to venture into town. They also karaoke, quiz and comedy nights through the week with a local farmers market taking over one room on a Thursday! The students union have various events throughout the year, with guest DJs and a big summer ball type festival event at the end of the year. They also run all of the clubs and societies, anything from ballroom and latin to DIY! Take a look at the list here: https://www.rusu.co.uk/activities/giag/#SearchClubs

I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here at Reading, everything from the vast array of activities and also the great support the university gives you. We have a building on campus that relates to employment opportunities, internships and networking which is really useful and was a great help to me when I applied to placement!

Hope this helps you, and if you have anymore questions then just let us know!

Alice :h:
Food Science Placement Student

Thanks Alice for the reply, hopefully i will attend the applicant day in February.
I wanna ask did you have any friends or know any people who traveled from London to reading for uni, how was their experience
Thanks Alice for the reply, hopefully i will attend the applicant day in February.
I wanna ask did you have any friends or know any people who traveled from London to reading for uni, how was their experience

Hi,

I've got several friends who have come from London to study in Reading and they have found that it is a good distance away to get a nice university experience living away from home but also close enough that the can easily get home when needed.

If, however you were considering commuting from London then you may wish to consider the length of your journey and whether you are happy with this.

Reading station is a half hour journey to London Paddington which is well linked. There are also several other services that head into and around London so hopefully your journey would not take too long.

I'd definitely recommend trying to come to a Visit Day as that will give you a good view of the university and a chance to speak to the department with whom you'll be working for the next few years.

There will also be a chance to view accommodation which may be of interest to you should you be moving away from home.

If you have any other questions then let us know!

Dan :smile:

Second Year Student Ambassador

Quick Reply