Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I have a disability which means I will find it hard to work (paralysed shoulders down following a accident when I was 17) Im now 28 currently live alone receiving disability benefit and housing benefit. Last year I finished a degree with the open University studying from home. I have applied for Masters degree and been offered unconditionally but because of the distance would need to move to the University. I'm guessing the only way I could fund the degree would be student loan?
    Do I wait until I have been approved a student loan before I accept the offer?
    Not having a job would I be able to get housing benefit for student accommodation at the University?
    If so I'm guessing I will have to give up my council house here , but after one year (which is how long the Masters degree is) I would be homeless I guess? Would they just kick me out of the University accommodation ? :/

Many thanks for any help/advice
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by tardigrade1989)
    Hi
    I have a disability which means I will find it hard to work (paralysed shoulders down following a accident when I was 17) Im now 28 currently live alone receiving disability benefit and housing benefit. Last year I finished a degree with the open University studying from home. I have applied for Masters degree and been offered unconditionally but because of the distance would need to move to the University.
    Hi tardigrade1989,

As there's a lot going on here we'll take it bit by bit.

I'm guessing the only way I could fund the degree would be student loan?
    There are lots of ways to fund postgraduate study. The Postgraduate Loan is a contribution towards your total costs. The postgraduate study section of the gov.uk website is a good starting point for other funding sources.

Do I wait until I have been approved a student loan before I accept the offer?
    That would be a question for the university as they may want you to be able to show how you will fund the course before making an offer. You can apply for funding without an offer though.

Not having a job would I be able to get housing benefit for student accommodation at the University?
    That would be something to ask the housing benefit people or the accommodation provider.

If so I'm guessing I will have to give up my council house here , but after one year (which is how long the Masters degree is) I would be homeless I guess? Would they just kick me out of the University accommodation ? :/
    Again, sadly, not something we can really help with. In terms of housing and accommodation you may want to make initial queries with the Citizens Advice Bureau. Your local authority (or local authority for where the university is located) or the university's student support would likely be of some assistance as well.

Many thanks for any help/advice
    While I've not been able to answer every question, hopefully the responses are of some use.

Regards,

Stuart

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 4, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.