The Student Room Group

A-Level Choices

I'm currently in year 11 and I need to decide my A Level choices soon. I have chosen 3 A levels to take - Chemistry, Physics and Maths. However I'm not sure about my 4th choice. Possibly I could do further maths which would mean I do the whole maths course in year 12 and the further in 13, but I'm not sure if I really want to do any extra maths. I could maybe do Geography but due to a bad teacher I have lost my love for it so I'm not sure if it's smart to carry it on further. Any replies/advice are appreciated!
Reply 1
Hi! I’m doing Maths, FM, Physics and Chemistry currently (Yr12)

What are you considering at university?
If you want to do maths or physics, I’d probably choose FM because it’s required for maths and physics really like it too
If you want to do chemistry, engineering or NatSci, geography could be some nice variation for you, although I don’t think universities would prefer that over FM
Original post by Pastelx
Hi! I’m doing Maths, FM, Physics and Chemistry currently (Yr12)

What are you considering at university?
If you want to do maths or physics, I’d probably choose FM because it’s required for maths and physics really like it too
If you want to do chemistry, engineering or NatSci, geography could be some nice variation for you, although I don’t think universities would prefer that over FM

Thanks for your help! I was thinking either studying chemistry or physics at university but I'm not fully decided yet. I've thought of doing further maths and I guess it would be a more sensible way of leaving my chemistry or physics choice open. Did you do further maths at GCSE and how are you finding it at A Level compared? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by TheGloriousGeek
Thanks for your help! I was thinking either studying chemistry or physics at university but I'm not fully decided yet. I've thought of doing further maths and I guess it would be a more sensible way of leaving my chemistry or physics choice open. Did you do further maths at GCSE and how are you finding it at A Level compared? :smile:

Ah okay–I’d say you are fairly flexible if you want to study either Physics or Chemistry. FM is sometimes preferred for Physics but having Chemistry, Physics and Maths hardly a gamble.

With those options, I think at the end of the day you should go for the A Level you think you will enjoy most; I wasn’t able to do my preferred A Levels (timetable clashes) so that’s something that I’ve found really difficult this year, so make sure you go into Year 12 with no regrets about your options!

I did do Maths and FM at GCSE and got an A* (iGCSE) and A^ respectively. I am actually enjoying double maths way more than I thought I would (I always tell people “9 hours of maths lessons a week isn’t as bad as it sounds”!). It is very fast paced but it’s fun, and my class is quite small and rowdy so it’s a nice environment in my opinion. There’s a lot of maths, no denying it, but no one’s dropped out (yet!) and it’s nice being ahead of the game when your friends need some help with calculus!
Reply 4
Don't forget, if you're not sure about your fourth or keen on any of the options, you can just do 3 A levels! But, I currently do further maths and I wouldn't recommend it if you don't really like maths, or if you want to do extra of it. For me, it's like 10 hours of maths a week instead of 5. But I do enjoy it and plan on doing it on University, so just have a think about what you'd like to do in the future!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending