The Student Room Group

Hate being touched by parents

I really can’t stand it. from hugs to little “affectionate touches” like patting my knee/shoulder. It’s gotten to the point where I can’t even be passed something incase hands touch. It just sends me into a state of panic, I feel like I need to wipe it off. Like i’ve been touched by hands covered in something that I need to get off me.
I’ve tried to explain it to them, that it’s nothing personal, just how I feel. But they get defensive and just joke about it and don’t stop.

Does anyone else experience this?
Same here with my parents. I think it's because they haven't touched or held me much as a child/baby.
yeah me too
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I really can’t stand it. from hugs to little “affectionate touches” like patting my knee/shoulder. It’s gotten to the point where I can’t even be passed something incase hands touch. It just sends me into a state of panic, I feel like I need to wipe it off. Like i’ve been touched by hands covered in something that I need to get off me.
I’ve tried to explain it to them, that it’s nothing personal, just how I feel. But they get defensive and just joke about it and don’t stop.

Its normal to experience this. As you get older you want to be more independent so that's okay. Sometimes I feel like this too with my parents. So really, its nothing to be ashamed of or embarrassed by, to be honest. :smile:

Speak to your gp. You may benefit from cbt
That amount of anxiety about touch is not a normal reaction
Slap them if they continue and report to the police if necessary
Oh my God. :eek: Me too. If my parents so much as brush past me, I will shudder and feel like I have to throw something off. I can't cope with them touching me. I've been like this since I was about 8. My parents would just treat it as a joke and would try to touch me just to see me revolt!

Funny thing is, I'm actually really affectionate with other people. Just not my parents!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by littlenorthernlass
Oh my God. :eek: Me too. If my parents so much as brush past me, I will shudder and feel like I have to throw something off. I can't cope with them touching me. I've been like this since I was about 8. My parents would just treat it as a joke and would try to touch me just to see me revolt!

Funny thing is, I'm actually really affectionate with other people. Just not my parents!

so happy with this response tbh, i’ve felt like i’m alone in feeling this for ages. I’m generally affectionate when i’m drunk, but the only time I am is in sexual situations, all or nothing with it. Totally get that brush past thing! The accidental contact just makes me shudder.
Reply 8
Original post by littlenorthernlass

I had no idea so many others felt like this! I get the brush past thing too, accidentally touches make my skin crawl.

If i’m drunk I get very touchy and into sexual situations (not with parents obvs) its like i’m all or nothing. Most of the time I just want a lot of personal space from everyone haha
Reply 9
I'm so glad I'm not the only one that has this type of feeling? I totally get the feeling of having to brush it off because I do the same. It's kind of frustrating because sometimes the brushing off action doesn't feel quite right and I'll have to repeat it until it does feel like it was actually correctly brushed off. IDK if that makes sense, but that's how I personally experience it.

yes i experience it all the time at one point it got really bad where i would get to a point that i started hurting myself because of how angry i would get about my parents touching me.

Hi, I have a friend who feels this. I told her to just try and keep distance. If it is really bad you can always leave the room or act like you have something to do and walk away. If you parents are okay with you 'so called acting like a teenager,' just go to your room and blast music or call your friends or do something you like to do by yourself.

I hope this helps !! Sorry if it wasn't useful. I hope you feel better soon !!!!
Me too!!! Other people yes, but not with my parents!!

Quick Reply

Latest