The Student Room Group

Matrix multiplaction

i know how to multiply matrices but I don't know what to do for this question. What aij mean and what does a23 mean and how do I find it?
aija_{ij} is the element of AA that is in row ii and column jj. So a23a_{23} is just the element in the second row and third column. To work out what it is... you say you know the definition of matrix multiplication, so use it. You'll get some equations, then use the ones that are relevant to what you want to find.
Original post by Kira Yagami
i know how to multiply matrices but I don't know what to do for this question. What aij mean and what does a23 mean and how do I find it?

so A is a 3 x 3 matrix.

they want you to work out the element which is on the second row and the third column
Original post by IrrationalRoot
aija_{ij} is the element of AA that is in row ii and column jj. So a23a_{23} is just the element in the second row and third column. To work out what it is... you say you know the definition of matrix multiplication, so use it. You'll get some equations, then use the ones that are relevant to what you want to find.

ok, thanks. But how do I find A?
ok, thanks. But how do I find A?

You don't need to find AA; remember you only need a23a_{23}. So just assign letters to the elements of AA (ideally the appropriate letters aija_{ij}) and then put that into the equations you have to get equations relating these aija_{ij}. You'll get nine equations (three for each of the original equations), but it should be clear that you don't need all of them to find a23a_{23}.
You don't need to find AA; remember you only need a23a_{23}. So just assign letters to the elements of AA (ideally the appropriate letters aija_{ij}) and then put that into the equations you have to get equations relating these aija_{ij}. You'll get nine equations (three for each of the original equations), but it should be clear that you don't need all of them to find a23a_{23}.

Okay, but would it not be easier to solve to find matrix A and then identify a23?

Thanks
Okay, but would it not be easier to solve to find matrix A and then identify a23?

Thanks

Unless I'm missing something, finding AA itself would involve finding each element individually, which is clearly more work than just finding one (or a few).
Unless I'm missing something, finding AA itself would involve finding each element individually, which is clearly more work than just finding one (or a few).

I'm confused as to what equations I need to solve :/
I'm confused as to what equations I need to solve :/

So just write the matrix AA with a letter in each entry, then put it into your three equations. On the left hand side, you get this matrix of letters times a vector, so do that multiplication to get a vector (with letters in it). On the right hand sides, you just have a given vector. Then you can just equate the components of the left side vector with the right side vector.
Alternatively to the method I suggested (and that is probably expected), you could be a bit clever and find a linear combination of the three vectors (that you're multiplying by AA) that equals the vector (0,0,1)T(0,0,1)^T, but this probably isn't much quicker. If this doesn't make sense, feel free to ignore it; it's not important.

Would you mind giving me an example of one of the sets of equations I need solve, I'm still confused :/
Let the i,j i, j th entry of the matrix A A be aij a_{i j} . So, if we let A A be a 3×3 3 \times 3 matrix this would mean that
Unparseable latex formula:

A = \left( \begin{array}{c c c} a_{1 1} & a_{1 2} & a_{1 3} \\[br]a_{2 1} & a_{2 2} & a_{2 3} \\ a_{3 1} & a_{3 2} & a_{3 3} \end{array} \right).

This is an annoying amount of writing, so usually you abbreviate this A=(aij) A = ( a_{i j} ) .
Similary, vectors also require an annoying amount of writing, so if you have a vector, you can similarly write it v=(vi) \vec{v} = (v_i) . This is a component notation and it is very useful, because it saves a lot of writing (and for many other reasons).
How would you write the components of the vector w=Av \vec{w} = A \vec{v} in terms of the components of A,v A, \vec{v} ?

Spoiler

Can you reformulate your equations in this notation? Can you then see how to proceed?
Thanks, got it now.

Quick Reply

Latest