Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 11 and I don't know when to start my GCSE revision. They start in like 5 months and I worry if I start revision now I will have forgotten it all by May anyway.
    So, when will you start and how much will you do? x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oompahpah)
    I'm in year 11 and I don't know when to start my GCSE revision. They start in like 5 months and I worry if I start revision now I will have forgotten it all by May anyway.
    Revision shouldn't be memorisation. If you revise by memorising a textbook, you're revising wrong. You should actually understand the content so much that it'll seem like common sense to you. There's probably a couple things you'll have to physically memorise, but that is definitely only a small part of revision.

ReputationRep:
    I started in november and I think it will be worthwhile if you start now as last minute cramming usually doesnt help.
    As long as you do a little bit each day (doesnt always have to be vigorous or extensive) it will be less stressful and more likely to stay in your mind
    Anyway go with what you feel comfortable with and best wishes for your gcses
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Start now. Before January it's just about ticking things over, but now it's setting up your time table, to do lists, cheat sheets etc. You should up it again about a month before the exam. So now its about revising across the board, with the second increase tweeking what you have revised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StayWoke)
    Revision shouldn't be memorisation. If you revise by memorising a textbook, you're revising wrong. You should actually understand the content so much that it'll seem like common sense to you. There's probably a couple things you'll have to physically memorise, but that is definitely only a small part of revision.

Good point x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Purdy7)
    Start now. Before January it's just about ticking things over, but now it's setting up your time table, to do lists, cheat sheets etc. You should up it again about a month before the exam. So now its about revising across the board, with the second increase tweeking what you have revised.
    Thanks! I think I will make a revision timetable over the next few days xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaxia_zoom)
    I started in november and I think it will be worthwhile if you start now as last minute cramming usually doesnt help.
    As long as you do a little bit each day (doesnt always have to be vigorous or extensive) it will be less stressful and more likely to stay in your mind
    Anyway go with what you feel comfortable with and best wishes for your gcses
    Thank you! Starting in November will surely have put you in good stead for May! I think I’ll begin ASAP xxx

ReputationRep:
    I've started now from the new year. I want to give myself these 5 months to go over all the content from last year and really embed that in my brain as well as fully understand and remember the content I have learnt this year! Don't leave it until too late or you'll just be cramming and it won't be as effective! Good luck!!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting in Februray, most people I know started then and got good grades

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning to start about end of January since mocks should have ended/ would end soon so some revision should have been done during mocks. This also gives me time to sort things out before going revision crazy. XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpringDay)
    I'm planning to start about end of January since mocks should have ended/ would end soon so some revision should have been done during mocks. This also gives me time to sort things out before going revision crazy. XD
    Haha! Good luck with mocks xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by so5tired758)
    I'm starting in Februray, most people I know started then and got good grades

Absolutely! Good luckkkkkkk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aishaa_26)
    I've started now from the new year. I want to give myself these 5 months to go over all the content from last year and really embed that in my brain as well as fully understand and remember the content I have learnt this year! Don't leave it until too late or you'll just be cramming and it won't be as effective! Good luck!!!

Exactly!! So weird to think it’s only 5 months away!

ReputationRep:
    Almost all my close cousins started February-late February and generally got A*s and As (not a single one of them got more than 2 B's, none of them C) But I reckon its because they can take that kind of pressure.

I'm going to try to start in January, but I picked coursework-heavy subjects so i'm trying to get that out the way ;( January's the perfect time, you should start then, you have enough time to go through everything, then solid weeks of past papers and questions, even if you are laid back when it comes to revision (like 3 hours a day)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc_miah)
    Almost all my close cousins started February-late February and generally got A*s and As (not a single one of them got more than 2 B's, none of them C) But I reckon its because they can take that kind of pressure.

I'm going to try to start in January, but I picked coursework-heavy subjects so i'm trying to get that out the way ;( January's the perfect time, you should start then, you have enough time to go through everything, then solid weeks of past papers and questions, even if you are laid back when it comes to revision (like 3 hours a day)

Yeah, my sister actually started in April and scored A* to B grades but I feel the pressure a lot more than her so I’ll have to start earlier haha! Also the new specs are harder than the ones she did xx

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, my sister actually started in April and scored A* to B grades but I feel the pressure a lot more than her so I’ll have to start earlier haha! Also the new specs are harder than the ones she did xx
    Thats true so annoying, especially the new languages spec-I don't think i'm going tor revise languages, as I feel like i'm going to do terrible no matter what, but we will see

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc_miah)
    Thats true so annoying, especially the new languages spec-I don't think i'm going tor revise languages, as I feel like i'm going to do terrible no matter what, but we will see
    I know! They used to just have to memorise their writing and speaking and regurgitate it on the day but ours is all spontaneous! So unfair

ReputationRep:
    Start now and keep going over stuff. Otherwise you’ll just be cramming.

ReputationRep:
    I mean, I always start my revision month before the exams or week (sometimes) since I'm not a good long-term memoriser. If I would finish my revision 5 months before the official exams I would forget all of it. I know it's strange but it works for me. Also, I prefer to spend any breaks available with my family, friends etc. as they are made to rest from the school not overload yourself with constant revision or problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gandalfhan)
    I mean, I always start my revision month before the exams or week (sometimes) since I'm not a good long-term memoriser. If I would finish my revision 5 months before the official exams I would forget all of it. I know it's strange but it works for me. Also, I prefer to spend any breaks available with my family, friends etc. as they are made to rest from the school not overload yourself with constant revision or problems.
    That's a good mindset but I think if I start by Feb and gradually revise and finish revision before April holiday, I'll have time to re-revise stuff and not miss things out because I know my school won't finish the coarse work on time. And I have a bad memory so re-revising will give my brain a workout.

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.