Turn on thread page Beta

Visiting a GP about oversleeping watch

ReputationRep:
    So I am constantly feeling tired and sleep far too much than I should because of this.

If I was to visit a GP about this, would they be able to prescribe me with medication such as modafinil which will help me to stay awake during the day, so that I only sleep for the regular 8 or so hours?

I work part time and am also self-teaching 3 A Levels for exams in June, so I can't really afford to have this level of tiredness all day.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by darkforest)
    So I am constantly feeling tired and sleep far too much than I should because of this.

If I was to visit a GP about this, would they be able to prescribe me with medication such as modafinil which will help me to stay awake during the day, so that I only sleep for the regular 8 or so hours?

I work part time and am also self-teaching 3 A Levels for exams in June, so I can't really afford to have this level of tiredness all day.
    I have moved this to health, you should get more help here.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster

They wouldn't just give you medication. I had the same problem and was given a blood test to find out why. It came back clear and I still have no idea why I keep getting so tired. It's either that or I don't sleep.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

I guess, but that would be for the GP to decide. You could go and ask a pharmacist first, to see if there is any point booking a GP appointment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    They wouldn't just give you medication. I had the same problem and was given a blood test to find out why. It came back clear and I still have no idea why I keep getting so tired. It's either that or I don't sleep.
    Did they not offer you any solution at all? It's impacting my quality of life now so I want some sort of solution so that I don't fail my upcoming exams in June.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Did they not offer you any solution at all? It's impacting my quality of life now so I want some sort of solution so that I don't fail my upcoming exams in June.
    No. I was asked some question like do thyroid issues run in your family, how long have you been like this for and was then given a blood test.

Because it came back clear, that was it.

ReputationRep:
    If you really do think it is causing you problems then go see your GP if you feel you need to, it may be caused by a more serious underlying problem.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    darkforest Could just be your natural chronotype? https://www.sleepassociation.org/pat...long-sleeping/ I had a whole bunch of tests but everything came back clear. I just have to make room to sleep 10 hours, else suffer the tiredness...

ReputationRep:

You could treat the symptom, but it won’t stop until you find the cause and deal with it. It sounds like you have a lot on your plate, do you usually have this much going on? if your schedule hasn’t changed much but the tiredness has come in, maybe it could be something else. Tiredness could be due to an unfound physical illness that your body is spending a lot of energy battling without you knowing.

Definitely see your doctor, but not with the idea that you walk in, get drugs and walk out fixed. Tell the doctor everything (there may be something you think is insignificant thats actually very important) and see if you can get to the bottom of it. Like you said, you can’t afford to have this level of tiredness, so you have to find your cause and squash it.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't know of any doctor who would prescribe you anything like that without investigating you properly first. They'll most likely recommend better sleep hygiene habits to begin with, and probably check whether you're anaemic/have a thyroid disorder or similar.

And I've only ever seen modafinil prescribed for narcolepsy, and it doesn't sound as thought that's what you have from your description, although we obviously can't assess you properly over the internet.

You're not alone. I've had this chronic tiredness thing going on for nearly 5 years now. Had all the blood tests and nothing's been flagged. Came off all types of medication and that did nothing. I get at least 9 hours sleep every night, and I'm usually asleep within 10 minutes. Honestly no idea what makes me so knackered! Being tired really makes you feel cranky and depressed.

Saaaaame. :hmpf:

ReputationRep:

You won't get study drugs for something like that unless you go private, lol.

ReputationRep:
    Take one weekend to sleep as much as you can. The moment ur tired sleep. Maybe you didn’t sleep as much as you think in the past weeks so you need to make up for it, if not, drink coffee!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlenorthernlass)
    You're not alone. I've had this chronic tiredness thing going on for nearly 5 years now. Had all the blood tests and nothing's been flagged. Came off all types of medication and that did nothing. I get at least 9 hours sleep every night, and I'm usually asleep within 10 minutes. Honestly no idea what makes me so knackered! Being tired really makes you feel cranky and depressed.

Saaaaame. :hmpf:
    Chronic Fatigue Syndrome ?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, my initial post wasn't very helpful. But idk how to help. I have a similar issue but in my case it's probably caused by ptsd and regular use of diazepam. Having said that - chronic stress can actually make you feel very tired. Are you stressed at all?

ReputationRep:
    I had this problem too and the doctors did a blood test and they found out that basically all my nutrients including Vitamin D and Iron levels were at rock bottom. They prescribed me a really high dose of vitamin D (it was amazing! It made a huge difference to my fatigue after a day!) and they prescribed me some iron pills which also made a difference however the vitamin D pills were incredible. Definitely visit your doctor to see why you are so tired. The supplements really helped me to stop oversleeping too.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers

They will investigate why it's happening. If they find something they will treat it. If they can't find a cause they should hopefully help you manage it in some way or anither.

Did you go back afterwards and ask for them to keep investigating? Thyroid is one of many potential causes so they shouldn't just leave it at that.

ReputationRep:
    Given the current state of the NHS, I would think long and hard about getting other advice before going to a GP.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everybody for the replies.

I didn’t realise that modafinil was a sort of street drug, like Ritalin and other more potent ADHD medication.

I think I am just going to take a trip to Holland & Barret and pick up some vitamin D tablets and also some iron tablets.

___

I did find a legitimate website though, (I probably am allowed to name it since it’s legal etc., endorsed by Dr Christian Jensen, but I won’t) where you can purchase modafinil after having an assessment online, which is then overviewed by a GP where they decide whether or not the medication is suitable for you. I don’t really fancy doing it though as despite it being legal and stuff it seems kind of a shady way to go about it.

ReputationRep:
    How is your diet in general?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2018
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.