The Student Room Group

im 18, strict parents, dating a guy, what should i do ??????

my dad is very strict and says i cant date till i have graduated and i understand, he thinks that im too young, or i will ruin my education if i fall for someone, but its not the case, we ive each other time and space and get our work done, he is really hard working and understand me, i really dont think it will any my education......but what do i do ????? do i hide it....end it (but i dont want to) i ca never tell them, ive had experiences before, how do i get to see him more often ??????? 19 very soom, turkish cypriot background
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Sev99
my dad is very strict and says i cant date till i have graduated and i understand, he thinks that im too young, or i will ruin my education if i fall for someone, but its not the case, we ive each other time and space and get our work done, he is really hard working and understand me, i really dont think it will any my education......but what do i do ????? do i hide it....end it (but i dont want to) i ca never tell them, ive had experiences before, how do i get to see him more often ??????? 19 very soom, turkish cypriot background

sorry to hear about the way your dad is treating you,are you unable to move out?
im nearly 21 and my parents are still so strict on dating :colonhash:

hiding it always a safe option as long as you're careful?
Reply 3
Original post by CleverSquirrel
im nearly 21 and my parents are still so strict on dating :colonhash:

hiding it always a safe option as long as you're careful?

How do you deal with that ? do you just follow their rule and just dont date anyone ? Mine are strict about a lot of things like going out with friends too,
Original post by Sev99

Kinda in the same boat as you tbh. I just don't tell them about it. I see her by just saying I'm going the library, which they know I go to often, but just spending some time with her. Mostly after schools.
Reply 5
They can’t make you do anything, you’re 18. If you are going out and they say you can’t say “I wasn’t asking for permission, I was letting you know. I’m an adult and I can go out if I want to”. Dating is more than normal at this age. I know it’s hard to stand up to controlling parents, but unless you want to live your life anxious, scared and isolated, you need to stand up for yourself.
Reply 6
Original post by S.H.Rahman
Kinda in the same boat as you tbh. I just don't tell them about it. I see her by just saying I'm going the library, which they know I go to often, but just spending some time with her. Mostly after schools.

Are her parents strict as well ? so it can still work out? and how long how you been dating
Original post by Sev99
Are her parents strict as well ? so it can still work out? and how long how you been dating

Reach 2 years now lmao

Her parent is calm about it so that's always a plus :biggrin:

I can work out if both of you are ok with the situation of one or both your parents not knowing. We skype every night whether it's just to have a quick checkup on each other or have a convo that lasts hours lol.
Original post by Sev99
How do you deal with that ? do you just follow their rule and just dont date anyone ? Mine are strict about a lot of things like going out with friends too,

yeah mine are too!

i dont follow their rules in a way that they think i am, but im not
i hate lying but in order to love a little i have to

i do date haha

i just say ive got a shift at work or have to stay at uni for longer etc
Reply 9
Original post by CleverSquirrel
yeah mine are too!

i dont follow their rules in a way that they think i am, but im not
i hate lying but in order to love a little i have to

i do date haha

i just say ive got a shift at work or have to stay at uni for longer etc

did you meet him at uni ? how long have you been hiding it for, the only thing that scares me is them finding out :/ hopefully they wont, and thats what i do, just say i have uni when i dont, although sometimes he suspects stuff ....
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Sev99
did you meet him at uni ? how long have you been hiding it for, the only thing that scares me is them finding out :/ hopefully they wont, and thats what i do, just say i have uni when i dont, although sometimes he suspects stuff ....

ermmmm both were ex's and one at uni and one from tinder, and one went on for a few months and one for a year!

haha PM me and ill give you a tips on how to hide it successfully :rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest