C.o.o.k.i.e
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Arghhhh is all I can say!
I have to write two pieces of coursework...one 500 words and one 1000 words about two issues in france...I've come to realise at A level that language doesn't even come into it! Which is where I'm struggling the most...the topic area!
For my 1000 piece I've decided on writing about La Laicité in France (original I know...) but it's probably one of the areas related to France that i know more about, thus why I've chosen it...
But I really need some advice on which thread i should go for...my original title is was about whether laicité is a good thing in the modern day, multicultural french society...but i've found it hard to work out how I'd arrange my essay...Intro...history of laicité...what it affects (i.e. politics, education system)...problems associated with it (all the tension with the muslim headscarf etc.)...then conclusion...
However, this (in my opinion) kind of lacks a clear direction and won't answer the title...
Any ideas or advice would be much appreciated!!
(And the fun part is i have all this to do in spanish as well! ah dear:eek: )
cookiedoughmonster
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think you should start with your introduction which should say what laicité is and its history and how it affects so many aspects of society and at all levels of society etc. So you have all the interesting background in your intro.

The rest of your essay should just be answering the question. I assume you have to give a balanced view?
So first half of your essay saying why laicité IS a good for a modern day, multicultural french society;
freedom of thought
freedom of religion
supposedly means that there can be no discimination

Then second half of your esay on why laicité is NOT a good for modern french society;
govt. still favours christianity (school holidays = christian holidays)
poses problems for certain religious groups ie.muslims
etc.

Then conclude by which view you support.
C.o.o.k.i.e
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Thanks for the advice guys
And nah i won't just seperate it into two parts, those being the pros and cons...I'm probably going to talk about the main issues and then discuss this (integrating them with opinions and these can then serve as the pros and cons in a way? if you get me?)
What do you think the main points should be to talk about?
Headscarf obv. being one, the government and general politics being another...anything other ideas?
cookiedoughmonster
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by wesetters)
Please don't write half an essay on for and half on against like that. That's 2 essays, not one. It goes against every piece of French essay writing advice I've ever heard...
It depends what level you're studying French at. Obviously if you're writing a French essay at university, then you wouldn't write an essay half for and half against. However, if you want to get full marks in A.S coursework where the examiners don't care how you structure it, you need to answer the question, write grammatically and have a strong grasp of French. It seemed from the OP's first post that he/she was having difficulty focussing on the actual question. There's no point having a clever structure if the answer isn't there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (47)
25.97%
No (134)
74.03%

Watched Threads