Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am deciding if I should go to the USA to study or stay in the UK.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help

ReputationRep:
    First, which course are you planning on studying? Have you applied yet?

ReputationRep:
    Have you looked into applying to the Sutton Trust US Programme? It’s to give year 12s a sense of what studying in the US is like. I’m a member of cohort 6 of the programme and am currently in the process of applying to university in the US. The programme is completely free - they cover accommodation and food for multiple residentials, they take you on an all expenses paid for trip to the US to look at universities (I went to Yale for a week this summer and visited Princeton, Columbia, Harvard, Smith College and Connecticut College), they pay for you to sit your ACT, they provide yoh with an individual mentor to help you with your application and so much more. The programme have completely changed my life and I would encourage anyone to apply! Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tlameloisstrange)
    From his forum section, I'm guessing International Studies?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am trying to find a university in the USA to do Business Management.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ci2)
    Well it depends whether you are loaded and can afford $40k a year fees in the states or if you want to get student loans. What subject do you want to do? because if its anything like medicine that will be 8 years where you do a 4 year undergrad and then a 4 year post grad where as here in the uk its only 5 years and one degree which is much cheaper and quicker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyPantha27)
    Well it depends whether you are loaded and can afford $40k a year fees in the states or if you want to get student loans. What subject do you want to do? because if its anything like medicine that will be 8 years where you do a 4 year undergrad and then a 4 year post grad where as here in the uk its only 5 years and one degree which is much cheaper and quicker.
    I'm not rich at all, Really I want to do Management in USA because soon I might live in Canada.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tlameloisstrange)
    Management in USA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ci2)
    Management in USA
    It, depends if you want to work in the UK or USA because if you train in the UK you will have to retrain in order to work in the USA!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ci2)
    Hi, I am trying to find a university in the USA to do Business Management.
    Babson College is one of the best for business! But University of Pennsylvania also has a business school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ci2)
    I'm not rich at all, Really I want to do Management in USA because soon I might live in Canada.

Well if you can’t afford the extortionate fees upfront then you have two options:

• 1) Try and look into scholarships or bursaries. However these are few and far between and also EXTREMELY competitive so it’s not very realistic to get one, but shoot for the stars right?
    • 2) Go do a management degree here in the uk where you will have a much easier time getting in to a university and then you will get student finance to fund it and end up with a loan you will have to pay back over time, However the amount of money you have to pay back is tiny and it won’t impact your credit score or anything as its extremely common; everyone kicks up a fuss about student loans but honestly they are easy to pay back and extremely flexible. And then once you’ve graduated with a degree you can look to move to Canada.

Personally, I think option two, staying here and doing a degree is your best and most realistic option. But then I don’t know anything about you and your circumstances so its really up to you. But if you want to set your sights high go for it. Do you have a careers adviser or finance officer or anyone you can talk to at your college? That should be your first port of call as they will tell you straight whether or not what you want to do is realistic and achievable.

Edit: I was just thinking about what you said, are you going to be moving to Canada like really soon as in before you would be starting college soon? If that was the case then while I’m not aware of all the rules, you should go to college over there because trying to commute back over to the uk would probably be a pain in the ass. How soon will you be moving over there? Also if you’re moving to Canada why are you trying to get into a US college?
    rt-onlǻ�P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ci2)
    Hello,
    I’m Bridget and I just applied to USA universities from the UK even though I didn’t plan to do so. Check out the Fulbright scholarship webinar for some more information. If you’re in year 12 or below, this is a good time to start researching and making up your mind.

If you need any more information please do ask.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.